Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shazza Shazza is offline

Default Corrupt files

I have created a document in word 2003 saved it and then backed it up from my
pen drive to my hard drive.

When I tried to reopen the document I noticed that the type was Rich Text
Format rather that Microsoft Word Document and when I tried to open it an
error message keeps reading €œ Word was unable to read this document. It may
be corrupt. Try one or more of the following:
€’ Open and Repair the file.
€’ Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

I have tried both methods and they did not work.
I have tried inserting the document into another document as an object it
did not work.
I have installed 2 different recovery programs and they dont even pick the
file up.

How can I recover my document????? Please can anyone help me

--
Thank you for reading my post. Hopefully you can answer my querie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2hhenph?=,

Do you have any more copies of the document, anywhere?

It sounds like there was a "hiccup" when transferring either to or from the "pen
drive"... You didn't save it while you were editing in Word to the pen drive, by
any chance? That's a sure-fire way to damage a file, as the local "scratch files"
necessary for a complete document often are not integrated into the file on the
remote medium. If that's what happened, then you have no chance to recover the
file.

I have created a document in word 2003 saved it and then backed it up from my
pen drive to my hard drive.

When I tried to reopen the document I noticed that the type was Rich Text
Format rather that Microsoft Word Document and when I tried to open it an
error message keeps reading €œ Word was unable to read this document. It may
be corrupt. Try one or more of the following:
€’ Open and Repair the file.
€’ Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

I have tried both methods and they did not work.
I have tried inserting the document into another document as an object it
did not work.
I have installed 2 different recovery programs and they dont even pick the
file up.

How can I recover my document?????

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alan[_5_] Alan[_5_] is offline

On Jun 9, 11:11*pm, Shazza wrote:
I have created a document inword2003 saved it and then backed it up from my
pen drive to my hard drive.

When I tried to reopen the document I noticed that the type was Rich Text
Format rather that MicrosoftWordDocument and when I tried to open it an
error message keeps reading “Wordwas unable to read this document. *It may
becorrupt. *Try one or more of the following:
• * * Open and Repair the file.
• * * Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

I have tried both methods and they did not work.
I have tried inserting the document into another document as an object it
did *not work.
I have installed 2 different recovery programs and they don’t even pick the
file up.

How can I recover my document????? *Please can anyone help me

--
Thank you for reading my post. *Hopefully you can answer my querie

Hi,

If necessary, you may try Advanced Word Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/awr/
This tool is rather useful in salvaging damaged Word documents. It is
not free, but worth trying when there is no better choice.

Alan