Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L. L. is offline

Default installing Office 2003

I bought Office 2003 for my work computer and installed Word. I also work
from home on my laptop. I tried to install Word but now the laptop software
doesn't work. It seems, after a lot of work that I can only open the program
in safe mode and I can't retrieve any saved documents or write a new letter.
Am I allowed to install the cd on 2 computers? Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L. L. is offline

First, thanks for responding to my query. I did go to Help and it said that
the program was already activated. When I installed the software on the
desktop chances are I activated the program then.

"L." wrote in message
I bought Office 2003 for my work computer and installed Word. I also work
from home on my laptop. I tried to install Word but now the laptop

software
doesn't work. It seems, after a lot of work that I can only open the

program
in safe mode and I can't retrieve any saved documents or write a new

letter.
Am I allowed to install the cd on 2 computers? Any help will be

appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm confused. You installed the program on the desktop and activated it.
Then you installed it on the laptop (you did install it, right--not just
copy files?); how can the laptop know it's been activated on the desktop? It
must be separately activated for the laptop because the hardware is
different. If this is a retail version (as you indicate), then it is
licensed for one desktop and one laptop. OEM versions are licensed only for
the machine they come on.

For more information, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293151 and
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx or
http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...ctivation.mspx

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you activate Office 2003 on the laptop? (Help | Activate Product)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"L." wrote in message
I bought Office 2003 for my work computer and installed Word. I also

work
from home on my laptop. I tried to install Word but now the laptop

software
doesn't work. It seems, after a lot of work that I can only open the

program
in safe mode and I can't retrieve any saved documents or write a new

letter.
Am I allowed to install the cd on 2 computers? Any help will be

appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The referenced article (although it is for Office XP) suggests a different
activation path, but likely it wouldn't work, either, even if available. I'm
guessing that you *did* activate this copy when you installed it on the
laptop. Are you getting a message that the documents are "locked for edit"?
That would indicate an activation problem. Otherwise, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm for more options.