Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kuvasz Mom Kuvasz Mom is offline

Default Links to folders won't work if I burn files and folders onto CD-R

I've created a document in which I link to individual files in the same
folder as the document. I also link from my source document to folders that
contain other folders and files. When I burn the entire project (source
document, files, folders) to a CD-ROM, the links to the folders return an
error message that says that the file can't be opened, but only if that
CD-ROM is being used on another computer. On my computer the links on the
CD-ROM work just fine.

I suspect that when I'm burning the docs to the CD-ROM (using word), the
links somehow embed a drive in them, and if that other computer's CD drive is
identified as something other than E:, it doesn't find the folder.

How do I preserve the ability to link to folders when the docs are burned to
a CD? I need to share these documents with several people.

Interestingly enough, if I save everything to a flash drive, I can use the
links and there's no problem linking from a document in one folder to a
folder or a document in another folder.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Kuvasz Mom,

Assuming you're links amongst documents and between documents and other objects, you might need to modify the links or add a macro
to the relevant document(s) to support relative paths.

To see how to implement relative paths in Word, check out the solution I've posted at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=670027

--
Cheers
macropod

"Kuvasz Mom" Kuvasz wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kuvasz Mom[_2_] Kuvasz Mom[_2_] is offline

Default Links to folders won't work if I burn files and folders onto C

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.