Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Don Faulkner Don Faulkner is offline

Default odd section break causes blank page

I have a document that is divided into several pieces "front matter" and a
main document with several chapters. I'm betting that each of these will be a
section by the time that I'm done, so I'll speak in those terms.

The first section is the title page. (1 page)
The second section is a introductory letter/abstract. (1-3 pages)
Next comes various tables (contents, figures, etc.) (2+ pages)
Next comes the first section of the main document (everything else)

The title and abstract sections (Document sections 1 and 2) should always
print single-sided. The rest of the doc may be printed duplexed
(double-sided).

So, I think, "no problem. I'll just make lots of sections and have each one
be an odd page section break." This works fine when I print the document in
duplex mode. But, sometimes, I need to print the whole doc single-sided. When
I do this, I get blank pages at the end of those sections missing a final
even page.

Now, I realize that this is happening because of the odd section break I
specified. The trouble is that the behavior is correct for duplex printing; I
want that blank page so the next section starts on an odd page--that's what
the odd break is for.

Is there a way to have my cake and eat it too? How can I get a document
that prints correctly on both single-sided and duplex output? Thanks for the
help?