Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeanjacket Jeanjacket is offline

Default Opening dotx files are opening the file itself instead of creating

In the past I tried opening a dotx file with word 2003. In doing so i chose
the file association to be word 2003. when I learned that you cannot open a
word 2007 template file (dotx) with word 2003, I opted to upgrade to word
2007.

Now that I have word 2007 on my computer and the same template files on my
desktop, whenever I double-click them, it only opens the file itself instead
of creating a new one, which obviously defeats the purpose of having the
template .

Anyone got a fix?

Also of note, is that I know on my other computer with a fresh office 2007
install, the desktop icon for a template is some sort of notebook with a page
being ripped out... the symbol for these ones are just generic word file
symbols. A white page with a small word logo in th middle. If I go to "new"
in word and choose "my templates" and drag my templates into that box it will
open them normal.. but that's a bit of a hassle... I would like to be able to
click them from the desktop like normal.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.