Nikkit72

Default How do I get cross referencing to update?

When I try F9 or right click and update field, the field doesnt update!

Any help???
Jackie

Did you try selecting the entire document and updating it that way. Sometime
this helps.

"Nikkit72" wrote:

When I try F9 or right click and update field, the field doesnt update!

Any help???

Graham Mayor

Is the field (or the bookmark to which it refers) in a text box? If so,
change the text box to a frame and try again.
If not, use the code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm attached
to a toolbar button to update your fields.

Nikkit72 wrote:
When I try F9 or right click and update field, the field doesnt
update!

Any help???

Are you sure that your cross-references are fields? Use Alt+F9 to toggle the
display. If you don't see a REF field, then either the references were
inserted as plain text or the fields have been unlinked. It's also possible
the fields are locked.

news

"Nikkit72" wrote:

When I try F9 or right click and update field, the field doesnt

update!

Any help???

Nikkit72

Thanks for your reply, the cross references are fields but I think the
problem is the document itself, as cross referencing works on other
documents. This document was originally Word and then WordPerfect and now
Word again!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure that your cross-references are fields? Use Alt+F9 to toggle the
display. If you don't see a REF field, then either the references were
inserted as plain text or the fields have been unlinked. It's also possible
the fields are locked.

news

"Nikkit72" wrote:

When I try F9 or right click and update field, the field doesnt

update!

Any help???

Conversion from WP to Word is always a crap shoot. I recently saw a document
converted from WP that had hundreds of footnotes that Word evidently
recognized and treated as footnotes--more or less--even though they were not
in the standard format, nor could a new footnote be inserted in the series.
It was quite bizarre.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure that your cross-references are fields? Use Alt+F9 to toggle

the
display. If you don't see a REF field, then either the references were
inserted as plain text or the fields have been unlinked. It's also

possible
the fields are locked.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.