Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nitaj Nitaj is offline

Default Add Reveal Formatting and Styles & Formatting to Format toolbar

Suggestion: Reveal formatting and Styles & Formatting should be standard
buttons on the Format toolbar out of the box. This combo is essential. Add
it on the RIGHT side of the formatting tool bar as well so that it appears
right above the Task Pane - a convenient spot when trouble shooting format
issues. When users start using Word, they tend to, as I did, right-click to
see individual format settings unaware that they can see ALL format settings
in one screen at one time. Reveal, as you know, is much more efficient and
less pain staking than the one at a time method.

Currently, while there is a button on the left side for Styles, it takes two
clicks to get to Reveal Formatting even with the Task pane opened. One-click
access is definitely preferred so you can frequently flip between Reveal and
Styles to fix format issues.

Experienced users can add Reveal Formatting using Customize but I think new
users should know about it as well - easier access will help them to use it
more often and will better understand Word.

I am just suggesting that Reveal Formatting be placed up front and central
right from the start.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Shift + F1 will open it up Reveal Formatting for you.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Nitaj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no way this suggestion can be implemented because Word 2007 has no
toolbars. Have you looked at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...x?showIntro=n?

"Nitaj" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

Reveal Formatting. What unfortunate terminology. Microsoft should be a
leader, not a follower (Reveal Codes from Word Perfect). "Show Formatting"
might have been a better choice of words.

Was this some type of marketing strategy? If so, I think it was misguided.

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

No, Noooo. I am a Word nut as well as an instructor of Microsoft Word. I
think that Reveal Codes is arcane. And, I have a hard time keeping my mouth
shut when some Word Perfect user extolls the "virtue" of Reveal Codes.

I tried Word Perfect once, on my Amiga 1000. Ugh!

Gordo

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you are missing Reveal Codes, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

so
all may benefit.

"gordo" wrote in message

Reveal Formatting. What unfortunate terminology. Microsoft should be a
leader, not a follower (Reveal Codes from Word Perfect). "Show
Formatting"
might have been a better choice of words.

Was this some type of marketing strategy? If so, I think it was
misguided.

Gordo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I used WP for quite a long time, and it was with great relief that I was
finally able to wean my last holdout client away from it. Although it is
true that some problems could be sorted by revealing the codes, what was
most often revealed was what a dog's breakfast WP made of a document by
inserting the same code multiple times and *still* making it virtually
impossible to format on the fly the way you can in Word.

Case in point: in Word, you can set tab stops in a paragraph or selection
and later go back and edit them on the ruler. Whatever changes you make
affect that paragraph or selection. In WP, the tab stops are set with a
start and end code, so there's no intuitive way to move them using the ruler
because when you select the affected area, the selection includes the codes
and the ruler goes blank. In retrospect, perhaps it would be possible to put
the insertion point just after the previous tab code and change them, then
delete the old code, but I'm not sure how that would work at the end of the
selection.

At any rate, I think the referenced article (along with a few others at the
same site) is helpful for WP migrants who miss Reveal Codes and don't
understand the way Word works.

"gordo" wrote in message
No, Noooo. I am a Word nut as well as an instructor of Microsoft Word. I
think that Reveal Codes is arcane. And, I have a hard time keeping my

mouth
shut when some Word Perfect user extolls the "virtue" of Reveal Codes.

I tried Word Perfect once, on my Amiga 1000. Ugh!

Gordo

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you are missing Reveal Codes, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm