Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GentleMoonlight GentleMoonlight is offline

Default How do I remove a document from the Recent Documents list?

I am currently using Office 2007 and I don't know how I can remove a document
from the Recent Documents list. Could someone help me with this? Thank you
for your time.

Have a nice day!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm not sure if this still works (this worked in the beta but it doesn't
work on my laptop - which I got after the beta so I'm not sure) but it's
easy to try:

- Press Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen
Your mouse pointer will look like a bold hyphen
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, then click the document you want to
remove

If your cursor doesn't change to a bold hyphen then they removed this
ability. I believe think they did because I can run the command in VBA and
it doesn't work there either. :-(

The only other way is to delete it in the Registry. Here's where they are
stored:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\File MRU

Right-click the value you want to remove and then click Delete.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"GentleMoonlight" wrote in
message ...
I am currently using Office 2007 and I don't know how I can remove a
document
from the Recent Documents list. Could someone help me with this? Thank you
for your time.

Have a nice day!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The "destructive cursor" Alt+Ctrl+hyphen is not in the retail (RTM
version. Considering the amount of damage you could do with it
(http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm), I think on
balance that was a good decision.

Further to the method of deleting an MRU entry in the registry, I
believe the change doesn't appear in Word until you restart the
program -- at least, that's what I see.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 11:39:39 -0500, "Beth Melton"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Thanks for the confirmation, Jay, that's what I thought. But I don't think
removing it was necessary - it would only remove files in the MRU list, not
any other commands (at least that's what I found when I tried it on the beta
versions. I think the decision came down to making sure the functionality
was the same in all versions.

And yes, thanks for the correction. :-) I forgot to add that you should exit
Word prior to editing the Registry since the MRU list is created when Word
starts - new entries are added and are visible but not the manual edits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

[...]

How do I access the registry?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

If your question is "How do I access the registry?", then my response has to
be "If you don't know, then you really shouldn't try." Fiddling in the
registry is NOT something to be done by those who don't know what they are
doing. You can royally muck up your computer by changing things that should
not be changed.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher