Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doran Hunter Doran Hunter is offline

Default Endnotes to go at end of section, not whole document

I have a book I'm working on that is organized into chapters with footnotes.
All the footnotes need to be converted to endnotes and placed at the end of
each chapter. Whenever I follow the directions to do this, they always end up
at the end of the whole document (and end up with roman numerals, even though
I select the numeral option). I have tried inserting section breaks--I have
tried everything (well, probably not everything). I'd appreciated any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doran Hunter[_2_] Doran Hunter[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the reply, Suzanne! For some reason, it still sticks the endnotes
at the end of the book, even with section breaks. If this is the layout of
the chapter:

Title
Text, etc
References

I'll place a section break (continous) before the title, another between the
text and the references; then, I highlight the text with the footnotes, go to
Insert--references--footnotes--etc., and select the option to convert all
footnotes to endnotes and place them at the end of the section. It places
them at end of the whole document. Somewhere along the line, I'm botching
something.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you insert a section break at the end of each chapter and set the
endnotes to appear at the end of the section, you should get the result you
want.

"Doran Hunter" Doran wrote in message
I have a book I'm working on that is organized into chapters with

footnotes.
All the footnotes need to be converted to endnotes and placed at the end

of
each chapter. Whenever I follow the directions to do this, they always end

up
at the end of the whole document (and end up with roman numerals, even

though
I select the numeral option). I have tried inserting section breaks--I

have
tried everything (well, probably not everything). I'd appreciated any

help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Check the Layout tab of Page Setup and make sure the box for "Suppress
endnotes" isn't checked. But note that you should not be breaking the
chapter up with section breaks; you should have just a single section break
(usually this will be at least "Next page") before the title of each
chapter.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you insert a section break at the end of each chapter and set the
endnotes to appear at the end of the section, you should get the result

you
want.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Doran Hunter" Doran wrote in message
I have a book I'm working on that is organized into chapters with

footnotes.
All the footnotes need to be converted to endnotes and placed at the

end
of
each chapter. Whenever I follow the directions to do this, they always

end
up
at the end of the whole document (and end up with roman numerals, even

though
I select the numeral option). I have tried inserting section breaks--I

have
tried everything (well, probably not everything). I'd appreciated any

help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You've got section breaks between chapters, and you've made sure that
"Suppress endnotes" is not checked in any section of the document, and that
the number format is correct for every section?