Richard

Default Problems saving to network drive

I'm having a problem when I save documents while exiting Word. Sometime the
file is not saved. When I open it latter I find that the changes were not
saved. I found a spot on Microsoft called "Troubleshooting saving documents"
It says that when you save by clicking EXIT on the file menu, you may be
saving a copy of the document on your hard drive instead of the server.

Does any one have any Idea what they mean by this.
I thought if you save, even on exit it would save to where you told it to
save.
If it is saving to the local hard drive does anyone have any idea of where
it is saving?

Any help would be appreciated.

Shauna Kelly

Hi Richard

If Word is saving a document to the hard drive, and you're not specifying
where, then it is most likely in My Documents or in whatever folder is
listed at Tools Options File Locations Documents.

Prevention is better than cure here. Get into the habit of doing ctrl-s or
Alt-F S frequently, and the problem will go away.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Richard" rharlantacomputeaming.com wrote in message
I'm having a problem when I save documents while exiting Word. Sometime
the
file is not saved. When I open it latter I find that the changes were not
saved. I found a spot on Microsoft called "Troubleshooting saving
documents"
It says that when you save by clicking EXIT on the file menu, you may be
saving a copy of the document on your hard drive instead of the server.

Does any one have any Idea what they mean by this.
I thought if you save, even on exit it would save to where you told it to
save.
If it is saving to the local hard drive does anyone have any idea of where
it is saving?

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

I checked in Mydocuments and there were no docs there. I understand using the
saveand not the save on exit. I do however have some users that use save on
exit. I have no idea why Microsoft would design a product that would save on
its own without warning the end user. Its hard to tell my users that save on
exit has this problem. It would be nice if I could talk to someone at
microsoft with out having to pay them to talk to them about a problem that is
clearly known to them.