Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bancroft Twaddell Bancroft Twaddell is offline

Default Word '07 Printing off-center with custom size paper

I am using Word 2007 (running on Vista) with a HP LaserJet 1200 printer. I
am trying to create a letter on 'statement' size paper (5.5"w x 8.5"h). I
selected 'statement' size from the drop-down menu of Size in Page Layout.
The letter looks fine on screen in editing and print preview mode however
when it comes out of the printer the text is left aligned as though the
paper were 8.5" wide. The printer uses an adjustable guide for manual feed,
single sheet paper to allow for envelopes and non-standard (other than 8.5"w
x 11"h) paper. The guide centers the paper in the middle of the roller
heads rather than on the left edge. Consequently about half the text is
lost to the left of the paper edge.

Is there a way within the program to communicate with the printer and tell
it to shift the print to the right the appropriate amount so that it will
print correctly on narrower papers?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Bancroft Twaddell
Cleveland, OH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Historically HP printer drivers have left a lot to be desired and since the
introduction of Vista things reportedly haven't improved. If you add custom
page sizes into the mix, inevitably things are going to get even more
problematical. However, one thing you can check in the device driver
properties is that the manual feed option is set for the correct paper size.
Beyond that I guess you'll have to ask HP how to set the centre option.