Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jgbrinton jgbrinton is offline

Default numbering problems when editing Word 2003 document in Word 2007

When I open a Word 2003 document in Word 2007 (compatibility mode), my auto
numbering (which is linked to Heading Style 1, 2, 3, etc.) gets all messed
up. Even if I clear and reapply the styles, it has problems. Either the
numbering resets when it shouldnt (e.g., 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 1.1, 1.2), or when I
insert listnum fields instead of (a), (b), (c), it temporarily goes ( ), ( ),
( ) or sometimes even (a), (a), (a). If I update fields it works again, but
then any time I insert a new number or start a new numbered paragraph, it
messes up again. The problem continues even if I convert the Word 2003
document to Word 2007 (as opposed to just opening it in compatibility mode).
The problem goes away when I create a new Word 2007 document and start from
scratch, and it also goes away if I copy and paste the text from the Word
2003 document into a new Word 2007 document. If this problem keeps up, I may
need to reinstall Office 2003. Either that or every time I open one of my old
Word 2003 documents I will need to copy and paste it into a new Word 2007
document and save it as a new document. Two years ago I set up numbering
attached to heading styles using Shauna Kelly's method
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html) and have
never had problems, so it's not a problem with the way the styles were
originally set up.