Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
BenS BenS is offline

Default Inserting a merge field in subject line of an email

When creating a mail merge for emails, is it possible to insert a merge field
in the subject line?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You cannot do it with email "out-of-the-box" It can however be done if you
make use of the Outlook Object Model and a technique similar to that in the
article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BenS" wrote in message
news
When creating a mail merge for emails, is it possible to insert a merge
field
in the subject line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
BenS BenS is offline

Hi Doug,

I went to the article you wrote and this is exactly what I need as well -
attaching individual attachments to individual mail using mail merge.

However when I copied your script and tried to run it, it came up with a
message saying: 'Compile error: User-defined type not defined'.

I dont know programming so I'm not sure how to fix this issue. Could you
help me out with this?

Also how do i utilise this script to create a merge field in the subject
line of an email mail merge?

I'm currently running WinXP and office 2003

Thanks

Ben

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You cannot do it with email "out-of-the-box" It can however be done if you
make use of the Outlook Object Model and a technique similar to that in the
article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BenS" wrote in message
news
When creating a mail merge for emails, is it possible to insert a merge
field
in the subject line?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You have not followed the instructions in the Preparations part of the
article. Specifically, you have not set the reference to the Outlook Object
Library.

You must follow the instructions excatly to the letter, otherwise it will
not work.

I am not sure what you mean by "create a merge field in the subject line of
an email mail merge"

But if you want a different subject line for each message based on the
content of a mergefield in the datasource, you should include that
mergefield in the catalog (or directory) mail merge that is created as part
of the process and retrieve the contents of that field in the same way as
the contents of the other fields are retrieved.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You cannot do it with email "out-of-the-box" It can however be done if
you
make use of the Outlook Object Model and a technique similar to that in
the
article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.