Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zoeb zoeb is offline

Default Problem reading docx files on Word 2003

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003 and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

You need to select at Conversion dialogue option Word 2007 Document and it
should open if it is called xxxx.dotx but if it is xxxxx.zip then try
renaming the xxxx.zip to xxxx.dotx and open it and select Word 2007 document
at conversion dialogue.

Hope this helps

www.docsliveonline.com

"zoeb" wrote in message
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx
file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003
and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default
and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an
option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zoeb zoeb is offline

Hi Thanks for your help Jules but that doesn't work. When the file conversion
box opens, it doesn't offer a Word 2007 doc option, only the old options like
Windows default, MS Dos or "other encoding". I tried changing the file name
but that hasn't made any difference either.

Any other suggestions?

"zoeb" wrote in message
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx
file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003
and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default
and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an
option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

Have you got the Compatibility Pack installed:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

"zoeb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

You don't unzip the zip file you rename the xxx.zip to xxxxzip.dotx. The
new formats can be changed to .zip to open as xml components.
You should also be getting the conversion option? Have you check in
Word Options
General
Check box: Confirm File Format Conversion on Open.

"zoeb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

DOCX is the Word 2007 document format.

If you have installed the compatibility pack correctly -
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx then you
should be able to open it directly with Word 2003. However, if the document
was created using a Word 2007 template, Word 2003 will not know what to do
with this, and will probably show a dialog box containing garbage. That
being the case see http://www.gmayor.com/Converter_Shows_Garbage.htm

zoeb wrote:
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a
docx file which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the
latest service packs installed (I checked using the update option)
and I have downloaded and installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if
you double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open
word 2003 and try the open file option it offers a file conversion
from windows default and appears as nonsense. If I select open files
of Word 2007 which is an option, the file I have been sent doesn't
show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
srscmayor srscmayor is offline

Thank you so much Jules! I had the same problem trying to open a DOCX
document for my son's homework and I followed your instructions, downloaded
the compatibility pack and it worked. You're a life saver!

"zoeb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Hello Jules,
I've read these posts, and I'm still having problems starting up the
compatibility pack, and opening .docx/Windows 12 files. I downloaded the
Pack and doubled clicked it, but I keep getting the following error message:

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package
exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to
verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

The last comment seems strange since I downloaded the exe. file from
Microsoft, so I'm stumped. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

"zoeb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The file in question FileConverters.exe is 28.192 mb and can be downloaded
from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.
If the executable file does not run and display an EULA, then it seems the
downloaded copy may be corrupt. Download it again.

When installed it provides the option to open docx format files and includes
the extra font set used by Office 2007.

The converter may still have problems with documents created from Word 2007
templates - http://www.gmayor.com/Problems_opening_2007_docs.htm

"zoeb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

I downloaded the file again, and I still get the same error message as
before...very frustrating. Any other suggestions?

"zoeb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom B Tom B is offline

I have Word 2002. Trying to open a .docx file (received as an Email
attachment) only results in a referral to an update for Word 2007. It's the
wrong update, and nothing changes. I wish the error message had been correct.

I also have MS Publisher 2003. I tried using it to open the .docx file.
The result is an error message:

"There is not enough memory to convert the text formatting. Windows is low
on memory. Save your work and close the other programs to free up memory,
and then try again"

The computer has plenty of memory, with very little activity open.

I then used Windows Explorer and found the .docx file. I copied it to paste
to the clipboard (or text window) in Publisher 2003. On attempting to copy
the file an error message:

"Clipboard. Item not collected: Format not supported by Office Clipboard"

The .docx file will not open at all for cutting or pasting into Publisher.
There is nothing in the Publisher help file about ".docx" I understand this
Publisher 2003 is fully updated.

The file that we received is a small .docx file with contents that may not
be important in the end. But we have been receiving Microsoft error messages
that provide the wrong directions, and that have consumed a lot of time.

Is there something I'm missing?

Others are reporting hours of difficulty with ".docx"

"zoeb" wrote:

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003 and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom B Tom B is offline

I have MS Word 2002, SP3. I downloaded the 27.5 MB file "Microsoft Office
Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats" which
is the one I understand you mentioned. Next it says the installation is
complete. I then try to open a .docx file. I get a window with an Error
Message that says "This is a pre-relase version of the Compatibility Pack and
can open pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a
newer version of the Compatibility Pack?"

I've done that, too, but it just gets me back to this same Error Message
again. And again.

"zoeb" wrote:
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003 and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Did you get the Compatibility Pack from this address?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-C6BB74CD1466

You might want to uninstall the one you have, and follow all the steps
at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505.
--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"zoeb" wrote:
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word 2003 and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows default and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MDeB MDeB is offline

I was plagued with this problem under Vista. I just upgraded to Windows 7
(Home Premium) and uninstalled the compatibility pack, downloaded it again
from Microsoft, and reinstalled it. That seemed to fix it! I can now read
docx files in Office XP (just as I used to be able to under Windows XP). The
files are a bit slow to convert, but they do open.