Finding duplicates of a word or phrase

Old August 13th 05, 11:12 PM
Suzi

Default Finding duplicates of a word or phrase

I have Word 2000. Is there any way to find out if there are any duplicates
of the words or phrases in a Word document, without typing in each one?
Old August 14th 05, 07:58 AM
Doug Robbins

You can run a macro to find out how many times words appear in a document,
but phrases are a bit more of a problem because it's hard to define exactly
what constitutes a phrase. You can however use EditFind, or EditReplace
to located multiple instances of a phrase that you enter into the "Find
what:" control of the dialog. If you use EditReplace and replace the text
with itself, it will tell you how many replacements it has made.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old August 14th 05, 06:43 PM
Suzi

Thank you for the reply. I don't understand how to run a macro or even what
a "macro" is. I'll be specific - I have listed names (in a column) on about
30 pages in Word. I don't want to imput each name in EditFind. I know I
can sort the list alphabetically and scan the list with my eyes. I just
wanted to know if there is a shortcut to this - where Word would just let me
know if there are any duplicates of any words that I typed.

Old August 14th 05, 08:22 PM
Doug Robbins

There's a method given for doing this in the article "Finding and replacing
characters using wildcards" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm