Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Editfriend Editfriend is offline

Default Open quote marks

When I type in a quote mark, I have to type the quote, then hit the space
bar before it will show on the screen. Is this fixable, or just the way Word
works?
Also, lately, when I type an open quote, it shows as a close quote unless I
put two spaces before the quote. Then I have to go back and delete the extra
space. Is there a tool I can use to fix this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The usual reason for this is that you have enabled an international keyboard
layout, in which the quote key acts as a "dead key" for accented letters. If
you press, say, apostrophe, then e, you get é; in order to get an apostrophe
(or single quote), you have to press the spacebar. The best solution in your
case is to change the keyboard layout to US or UK, as appropriate. See
Windows Control Panel | Keyboard or Control Panel | Regional Options | Input
Locales.

"Editfriend" wrote in message
news
When I type in a quote mark, I have to type the quote, then hit the space
bar before it will show on the screen. Is this fixable, or just the way

Word
works?
Also, lately, when I type an open quote, it shows as a close quote unless

put two spaces before the quote. Then I have to go back and delete the

extra
space. Is there a tool I can use to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Editfriend Editfriend is offline

I checked the Control Panel and I changed from US-International to US only,
but still have to add a space after typing the quote. It did help the problem
of the backward quote, though. Thanks for your reply! Any other suggestions?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Still something wrong with the keyboard, then. Do you have any other
languages enabled?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual reason for this is that you have enabled an international

keyboard
layout, in which the quote key acts as a "dead key" for accented

letters. If
you press, say, apostrophe, then e, you get é; in order to get an

apostrophe
(or single quote), you have to press the spacebar. The best solution in

your
case is to change the keyboard layout to US or UK, as appropriate. See
Windows Control Panel | Keyboard or Control Panel | Regional Options |

Input
Locales.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Editfriend" wrote in message
news
When I type in a quote mark, I have to type the quote, then hit the

space
bar before it will show on the screen. Is this fixable, or just the

way
Word
works?
Also, lately, when I type an open quote, it shows as a close quote

unless
put two spaces before the quote. Then I have to go back and delete the

extra
space. Is there a tool I can use to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Editfriend Editfriend is offline

No, I have no other languages enabled.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual reason for this is that you have enabled an international

keyboard
layout, in which the quote key acts as a "dead key" for accented

letters. If
you press, say, apostrophe, then e, you get é; in order to get an

apostrophe
(or single quote), you have to press the spacebar. The best solution in

your
case is to change the keyboard layout to US or UK, as appropriate. See
Windows Control Panel | Keyboard or Control Panel | Regional Options |

Input
Locales.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Editfriend" wrote in message
news When I type in a quote mark, I have to type the quote, then hit the

space
bar before it will show on the screen. Is this fixable, or just the

way
Word
works?
Also, lately, when I type an open quote, it shows as a close quote

unless
put two spaces before the quote. Then I have to go back and delete the
extra
space. Is there a tool I can use to fix this problem?

Strange quote marks Ann Microsoft Word Help 7 December 23rd 05 06:18 PM
Embedding quote marks in If-Else-Then statements EHPorter Mailmerge 1 July 28th 05 08:11 PM
Quote marks ChuckH Mailmerge 1 March 10th 05 12:14 PM
Change Quote marks Josh Formatting Long Documents 2 February 1st 05 03:31 PM
How do I get defined open and close double quote marks? merimee Microsoft Word Help 2 January 16th 05 05:32 AM