Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] stan.mitchell1@gmail.com is offline

Default Word 2010 Multiple Header Rows?

Hello, first time poster here...please forgive any mistakes. I have a lengthy table in Word 2010 (50+ pages), created by another author, that I'm trying to make easier to read. The table has a main header row with titles for the 4 columns. This row repeats at the top of every page.

However, the table also has sections that are currently divided by a merged cell running across all 4 columns as a "section header." Rows are set to break across pages and even if they were not, some rows span multiple pages.. I can't split these longer rows up into separate rows because the rows are numbered to match other portions of the document. I also can't shuffle shorter rows around to reduce the number of rows that break across pages (table Tetris) because they are numbered in order to match the order of chapters/sections in the remainder of the document. The intended readership are laymen who could get lost easily, so readability and logical flow are critical.

What I would like to do is to make the section headers repeat at the top immediately below the main header row, even if the row breaks across pages (basically, make the section header rows behave as the main header row does).

I could split the table into smaller tables but can't seem to make more than one row repeat. Plus, some sections only have one row, so a separate table for each section looks silly and unnecessarily increases page count.

Is this possible? If so, how? I'm not averse to using VBA to make this work, but I'm not a VBA wizard.

Thank you,

Stan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen[_2_] Lisa Wilke-Thissen[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I have a lengthy table in Word 2010 (50+ pages), created by another
author, that I'm trying to make easier to read.
The table has a main header row with titles for the 4 columns. This row
repeats at the top of every page.

However, the table also has sections that are currently divided by a
merged cell running across all 4 columns as a "section header."

What I would like to do is to make the section headers repeat at the top
immediately below the main header row,
even if the row breaks across pages (basically, make the section header
rows behave as the main header row does).

I think the only way is to place the main header row within the header of
the document, maybe you need section breaks before and after the table.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Michael Tardie Michael Tardie is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

According to Word MVPs Doug Robbins and Suzanne Barnhill, you cannot do this in Word. See: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...5-b7b4a85a1958