Curious of Barnet

Default Word Mailmerge reading UK dates in Access as US dates

I have an Access Database which contains a date field, formatted as a UK
date, i.e. dd/mm/yy hh:mm. When I use the Word mailmerge facility to pull in
information about an overdue book loan the date is read by word as being in
US format, i.e. mm/dd/yy hh:mm, so that 5th November 2003 is printed in the
mailmerge as 11th May 2003. How do I make Mailmerge read the date correctly?
Dawn

When you are in Word, right click on the date filed and select edit field.
Click on Field codes, and where you MERGEFIELD Date(or whatever you named the
field) type
\@ dd/MM/yyyy

You need to use capital "M", this way Word knows you mean months instead of
minutes.

Hope this helps.

"Curious of Barnet" wrote:

I have an Access Database which contains a date field, formatted as a UK
date, i.e. dd/mm/yy hh:mm. When I use the Word mailmerge facility to pull in
information about an overdue book loan the date is read by word as being in
US format, i.e. mm/dd/yy hh:mm, so that 5th November 2003 is printed in the
mailmerge as 11th May 2003. How do I make Mailmerge read the date correctly?

Curious of Barnet

Thanks, but ...

Doesn't solve the problem; I was already doing that.

The problem occurs on the network of the school I work in but not at home.
At school it only happens with a date that has the day = 12. If the day
12 in the original Access file, it does not happen.

"Curious of Barnet" wrote:

I have an Access Database which contains a date field, formatted as a UK
date, i.e. dd/mm/yy hh:mm. When I use the Word mailmerge facility to pull in
information about an overdue book loan the date is read by word as being in
US format, i.e. mm/dd/yy hh:mm, so that 5th November 2003 is printed in the
mailmerge as 11th May 2003. How do I make Mailmerge read the date correctly?

Doug Robbins

See the "Dates: day/month reversed" item under the "Connection methods"
topic of the "Mail merge in Word 2002" section of fellow MVP Cindy
Meister's website at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Curious of Barnet" wrote in
message ...

"Curious of Barnet" wrote:

I have an Access Database which contains a date field, formatted as a
UK
date, i.e. dd/mm/yy hh:mm. When I use the Word mailmerge facility to
pull in
information about an overdue book loan the date is read by word as
being in
US format, i.e. mm/dd/yy hh:mm, so that 5th November 2003 is printed in
the
mailmerge as 11th May 2003. How do I make Mailmerge read the date
correctly?

Curious of Barnet

Thanks, Doug, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I suspected all along that
it was a bug, but could not show my student how to fix it so she used dates
with days greater than 12 and it was OK. Now we can fix it properly. Thanks
heaps.

David