Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85

Default replacing clarification

Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the person who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how to do it
with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish smile). So, is there
anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a lowercase
letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Probably simplest to do this in several steps. Word's wildcarding has no
'zero-or-more' option, so 'replace unless' is tricky. It's easier to replace
all then, remove the ones you don't want ---

1. Replace all I with #I (no wildcards).

2. Replace all #I with I (no wildcards).

3. Replace all #(I[a-z]) with \1 (wildcards)

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the person
who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how to do it
with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish smile). So, is there
anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a lowercase
letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jezzica85

Thanks Jezebel, that worked great! Just so I know, though, what exactly does
the "\1" mean, and are there any other replace codes like it?
Thanks again!
Jezzica85

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the person
who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how to do it
with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish smile). So, is there
anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a lowercase
letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Jezzica85

The "( )" set off a group. In this case part of the find string consist of
the group (I[a-z]).

\1 just means Replace with the number 1 group set off in the find field.

The group can contain a single member or multiple members.
So if I had "abc" in a document and

Find: (a)(b)(c)
Replace with \1\3
The result would be "ac"

Find (ab)(c)
Replace with \2\1
The result would be "cab"

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the
person
who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how to do
it
with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish smile). So, is
there
anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a lowercase
letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You should be able to do it in one pass. The following will work for your
stated requirement.
Replace (wildcard flag set)
([!#])I([!a-z])
with
\1#I\2

All the 'codes' are listed in the article to which I referred you earlier -
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the
person who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how
to do it with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish
smile). So, is there anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to
on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a
lowercase letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Not quite. That won't handle I as the first or last character of the
document, nor consecutive Is.

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the
person who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how
to do it with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish
smile). So, is there anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to
on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a
lowercase letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Agreed - though the consecutive Is should be easy enough to fix
- and the first and last character of the document easy to spot.

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the
person who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how
to do it with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish
smile). So, is there anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to
on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a
lowercase letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Of course: but if you have to deal with special cases at all, you might as
well use a universal procedure that works anyway.

"jezzica85" wrote in message
Hi all, I know I've asked this question before, and thanks to the
person who
responded about using wildcards, but I can't quite figure out how
to do it with the wildcards, even though I've tried (sheepish
smile). So, is there anyone who can give me a step-by-step how-to
on changing

I I've I'd I'm Ida Is it

#I #I've #I'd #I'm Ida Is it

Basically, replacing I with #I only if it isn't followed by a
lowercase letter or preceded by the "" symbol?

Thanks so much!
Jezzica85

Replacing text, instead of replacing, text inserts alongside word Margaret Minker Microsoft Word Help 4 December 9th 05 03:52 PM
Word 2003 replacing hyphens with dashes Angelia New Users 3 July 29th 05 10:45 PM
How do I set up Outlook as my default email program replacing Out. Gettingonthesamepage New Users 1 February 3rd 05 05:46 PM
Replacing selected text Dave New Users 2 January 26th 05 06:06 PM
get ~$ replacing letters in file name badwrc Microsoft Word Help 4 January 7th 05 05:39 AM