Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ynez

Default Word 2000 - doucment corruption

We are running MSWord 2000 on Windows 2000 and we are also using a document
management system Livelink and CoreDossier.
We have a couple of documents that seem to continually get corrupted ~75
pages (they are heavily tabled and have some graphics in them). We do use
templates and styles €“ and have many macros built-in to the templates.
So far I have tried the detect and repair on another computer that has Word
2003 it will fix it to the extent that I can open the document but after a
couple of changes it crashes again. I get a message that the problem is with
list numbers (which we use through a macro). I have taken the document
copied all but the last paragraph marker and pasted into the notepad €“ opened
a new document and pain-stakingly copied the information from notepad over
one paragraph at a time and rebuilt the tables from scratch. This seemed to
fix the problem but it seems that now another user is having the same problem
with the document crashing again.
Any help that would guide me in solve this problem would be great!.
Thanks for you time and assistance.
Ynez Dugan

--
Ynez Dugan
Regulatory Operations II
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ynez,

From the sound of it, the problem could be in the template from which the document
is being generated. It's possible that, while creating the template, someone
"played around" with numbering when setting up the styles and introduced some
problems.

You might try recreating the template. That won't fix any existing documents, but
it would help stop the problem from cropping up in new ones.

1. Rename Normal.dot to NormalOLD.dot, then start Word. This will generate a
"clean" Normal.dot (you can later rename NormalOLD back to Normal, if you wish).

2. Save the new document this generates as a template

3. Use Tools/Templates and Addins/Organizer to copy the styles, toolbars and
macros from the current template into this new one.

4. If the template contains any text, open it and carefully copy/paste all but the
last paragraph mark.

5. Recreate the margins, headers, footers, etc.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)