Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default Word 2007 Header and Footer Style

I can open a new blank document and type text in the header and the footer.

The Style Name field that I have on my QAT displays "Header" or "Footer"
style consistent with the cursor location. That seems normal.

However, "Header" and "Footer" do not appear in the style name dropdown or
in the Style Pane. If I click in one of the styles, the name will appear in
the Style Inspector. Just for s&g's I used the Manage Style dialog and set
the recommendation for both Header and Footer to 1. Still neither show in
the Style Pane.

Using Manage StylesEditModify, I can set either Header or Footer to show
in the Quick Styles Gallery. I can use the Gallery icon to modify the Header
or Footer style but it still doesn't show in the Style Pane.

Although I positively have Header and Footer text in the document, if I
right click the QuickStyle button for either Header or Footer the "Select
All" feature indicates "Not currently used' and is dimmed.

Does anyone else experience this behavior? Is it intentional?

Thanks.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Me again Greg,
It shows in Manage styles also in Alphabetical which is what I have set.

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Greg,

If I understand your question correctly then what I'm experiencing is that in the Styles Pane and 'Apply Styles' pane in Word 2007
if you choose the option for 'Styles in use' it appears that styles used in the Header and Footer are ignored in the Styles pane,
but if you choose 'In Current Document' these do appear (along with all tyles in the current QuickStyle set'.

For example, apply a common text style from the QuickStyles gallery not in use elsewhere in the document to text in the Header and
while you're in the header the Styles pane will still not show it as a 'Style in use'.

In Word 2003 'Formatting in use' in the Styles and Formatting taskpane also 'missed' the header and footer styles, but choosing to
show 'Available formatting' showed them.

============
"Greg Maxey" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I don't currently have access to Word 2007, but what happens if you show all
styles (in the Options dialog box of the Styles pane)? Then can you see the
styles?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Greg,

Yes, that is the same result. As the choice is greyed out in the Word 2003 Style & Formatting pane as well when you right click on
the 'Header' style I'm assuming it's not something directly addressed or changed.

If in Word 2003 or 2007 you use Find (ctrl+F) and search for the header or footer style a separate editing pane opens showing the
found or replaced styled items.

==============
"Greg Maxey" wrote in message ...

Bob,

Yes that does appear to be the situation.

Still even with Header sytle applied to text in the header and "now" showing
in the style pane if I right click the Header style the "Select All" and
"Remove All" features are dimmed and annotated not currently used.

Is this all by design or an oversight?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Stephan,

It does appear if your option is to show All styles, In current document,
and Recommended. However, even when is shows the new option to Select All
is dimmed and annotated "Not currently used."

--

Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

At least in Word 2003, Select All relates to the setting for "Keep track of
formatting." Unless you have that option enabled (in Word 2003 it's at Tools
| Options | Edit), you lose the ability to select all paragraphs of a given
style.

Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

In both Word 2003 and Word 2007 even with that choice enabled right clicking in the Styles & Formatting pane on a style used in the
document but only in the Header and/or footer the context menu shows that the style isn't being used.

===========
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
At least in Word 2003, Select All relates to the setting for "Keep track of
formatting." Unless you have that option enabled (in Word 2003 it's at Tools
| Options | Edit), you lose the ability to select all paragraphs of a given
style.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Even if the insertion point is in the header/footer?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Suzanne,

In both Word 2003 and Word 2007 even with that choice enabled right

clicking in the Styles & Formatting pane on a style used in the
document but only in the Header and/or footer the context menu shows that

the style isn't being used.

===========
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

At least in Word 2003, Select All relates to the setting for "Keep track

of
formatting." Unless you have that option enabled (in Word 2003 it's at

Tools
| Options | Edit), you lose the ability to select all paragraphs of a

given
style.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Good question. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Even if the insertion point is in the header/footer?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Suzanne,

In both Word 2003 and Word 2007 even with that choice enabled right

clicking in the Styles & Formatting pane on a style used in the
document but only in the Header and/or footer the context menu shows that

the style isn't being used.

===========
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

At least in Word 2003, Select All relates to the setting for "Keep track

of
formatting." Unless you have that option enabled (in Word 2003 it's at

Tools
| Options | Edit), you lose the ability to select all paragraphs of a

given
style.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

Unfortunately yes, in Word 2007, with text in a header with Header style and the cursor in that text the Styles pane using the 'in
use' list does not show the 'Header' style, even changing the default behavior of 'Header' style from 'hide until used' to 'show'.
It appears in the Style list added to the QAT, in the Style Inspector pane and in the Apply styles pane.

With the 'Header' style changed to 'show' status from the default of 'Hide until used' it will appear if the Styles pane choice is
set to show styles 'In current document'. Apparently Word may not see a style used only in the header/footer as 'used'. If
'Header' is used in the body of the document Word does show it as 'in use' in the Styles pane.

============
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Even if the insertion point is in the header/footer?

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't tested it but would expect it might still fail because how do you
determine how many times the Header or Footer style is used in the header or
footer? The sensible answer would be once for each paragraph in each
discrete header or footer, but Word would certainly get confused if it tried
to count the occurrences on each page (which it wouldn't, of course, since
the repeated headers/footers are just artifacts).

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Good question. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Even if the insertion point is in the header/footer?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.