Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hilary Hilary is offline

Default normal keyboard keys are doing strange things

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens. sometimes
the letter will actually type, but then some other feature (it is spell check
for the letter p) kicks in and I have to hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn them off
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It is unclear what is happening, exactly. If you want to get rid of automatic
spell checking, clear the "Check spelling as you type" option in the Word
Options dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote:

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens. sometimes
the letter will actually type, but then some other feature (it is spell check
for the letter p) kicks in and I have to hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn them off
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hilary Hilary is offline

sorry I wasn't clear. Part of it is because I am unclear what is happening,
and because the problem does not seem consistent. Let me try again...

I have a document that I have been working on in Word 2007 pulled up right
now. When I type the letter "z" into the document, the letter "z" appears
where the cursor is (as you would expect) but also, along the tool bars at
the top, a bunch of boxes with individual letters appear over each of the
tabs...an "H" over the Home tab, an "N" over the insert tab, and so on.

at other times, using the letter "p" would cause some other function to
start(can't remember now, it is acting normally at this time), and the "["
key would highlight a bunch of text.

The strangest part is that it is erratic - is it possible that the keyboard
is going bad, or am I sometimes triggering these keys to have these functions
without knowing it?

Thanks for your help...

"Hilary" wrote:

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens. sometimes
the letter will actually type, but then some other feature (it is spell check
for the letter p) kicks in and I have to hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn them off
again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The 'boxes' you describe pop up when you hit the ALT key which is adjacent
to the z key. Are you activating the Alt key when accessing z? Or is the Alt
key sticking, or have you activated sticky keys in Windows Accessibility
Options?

"Hilary" wrote:

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens.
sometimes the letter will actually type, but then some other
feature (it is spell check for the letter p) kicks in and I have to
hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn
them off again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tree tree is offline

I'm having a similar problem with a Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop running Word
2003. While typing, the cursor sometimes jumps up to a spot in the middle of
another paragraph. Another problem is that it's highlighting blocks of text
(seemingly) randomly. I've paid close attention to my keystrokes, and I'm
not accidentally hitting the Ctrl, Fn, Alt, or other keys that aren't
commonly used while touch typing. I've also been careful to notice whether I
was accidentally touching the touch pad - I'm not.

I work with another Dell Inspiron 1505 and have done a lot of typing (much
of it with Word 2003) on that machine, but have never had the same behavior.
Furthermore, with the machine that is having the squirrelly behavior in Word,
I haven't had anything similar happen while typing in other programs.

Lastly, I've tried to duplicate the behavior in Word to determine if certain
key combinations are triggering the problems - apparently not. It really
does seem random. Oh, and I did check the "sticky keys" option in
Accessibility Options, but it's not turned on.

Bizarro world.

"Hilary" wrote:

everytime I type the letter z, p, or [, something strange happens.
sometimes the letter will actually type, but then some other
feature (it is spell check for the letter p) kicks in and I have to
hit the escape button.

I don't know how or if I turned these features on, or how to turn
them off again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Usually this is a touchpad issue. Even if you're not accidentally brushing
it, it may be that just typing is causing enough vibration to affect it. You
might try reducing the sensitivity. Another possible factor is Speech
Recognition; if you have that enabled, it can pick up ambient noise, with
unpredictable effects.