Ian_T

Default Problem with embedded .pps file

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 and Powerpoint 2003 and received a Word
document with a .pps object embedded in it. When I double-clicked on
the icon (first time) I saw the presentation OK, and it had a number of
photographs. I was playing around to try and open it as slides and have
done something so that now all I can see is the first slide.
I believe that I right-clicked on the icon and, under some option,
clicked on 'convert...' and then 'Microsoft Powerpoint Slide'. Now when
I double-click (or right click, Slide object..., open/edit) I just see
the first slide.
Also, if I take any other presentation and insert it as an object in a
Word document, the same thing happens (though if I open something
directly with Powerpoint it works fine).
Any ideas on how I can fix my system back to the way it was? (I noticed
that someone else with the same product sees 'Presentation object...'
when they right-click on the icon in the Word document, so obviously
I've somehow set my default to slide. But I've tried the 'convert...'
option and, although the icon in the Word doc *says* presentation
object, it still just gives me the first slide when I open it.

Thanks!
Ian Totman

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ian_T,

[...]

Well, once you've converted an entire presentation to a single slide, I
don't think you can go back (except by using Undo). Word will discard the
additional information when it "converts down".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Ian_T

Cindy,
Thanks for the comment, however the key problem is as noted about 1/2
way through my note:
"...if I take any other presentation and insert it as an object in a
Word document, the same thing happens..."

So if I embed a presentation that I can see fine with Powerpoint into a
Word document, I *can't* see more than one slide if I double click /
open it within Word.

It seems like some option may have been set in Word to treat any .pps
file as a single slide? Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Ian

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:
Hi Ian_T,

[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Ian,

Do you still have the original email that was
used to send the file to you? If so you may be
able to save another copy of the document to file.

From Powerpoint you can save the indivdual slides
as graphics and then insert those in Word from file
or you can use Powerpoint's 'Send to Word' feature
to embed the presentation in Word. The latter will
generally make a huge file.

If you embed a PPS (layered) file in Word then you'll
only see the top slide of the object unless you double
click on the embedded object so that it can 'run'
outside of Word. Once the PPS has been converted to
a Word picture, which as Cindy mentioned, sounds like
the case here the original PPS show is lost. You can
try using File=Web Page Preview to see if it is still
existing as something other than a graphic.

Sometimes folks copy and paste the object as a graphic
without intending to, back into the Word document.

If you right click and bring up the dialog for Presentation
Object and choose convert. Does it list 'activate'
and if so is that set as presentation or slide?

=======

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Ian_T

Bob,
Thanks for the reply - I haven't been able to check Groups recently so
am a little behind.

To confirm how the PowerPoint presentation was embedded, this is what I
did:
1. Created a 2 slide PowerPoint and saved as a .pps file
2. Checked that I was able to double-click on it to open and see both
slides
3. In Word I clicked 'Insert'/'Object' and selected the 'Create from
File' tab. I browsed for and found the .pps file and selected 'Display
as icon'. It now shows as an icon in the Word document.

To answer your question, if I right click on it I see the options
'Cut', 'Copy', 'Paste' and then 'Slide Object ', which brings up the
sub-menu of 'Edit', 'Open', 'Convert...'
- 'Edit' and 'Open' both bring up the first slide as 'Microsoft
PowerPoint - [Slide in Document]'
- 'Convert...' brings up a dialog box where I can Convert to: a Slide
or Presentation (though they don't seem to do anything different) and
the option to Activate as: a presentation.

After trying the convert, I re-created everything and tried the
activate. Nothing seems to have changed the issue that, with any
powerpoint presentation (.pps or .ppt) embedded in a Word document, I
can only see the first slide.

Help?!

Ian Totman

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Ian,

Hmmm. Normally, if you right clicked on a PPS multislide
presentation (with both Word 2003 and Powerpoint 2003
on your PC) when you right clicked on the icon you embedded
for a PPS show the right click menu should show
'Presentation Object' rather than 'Slide Object'.
If it's showing 'Slide Object' something is telling Word
you have embedded a single slide.

Under Presentation Object the first choice would be 'show'
(not used when it's a single 'slide' object.

What is the build/version from Help=About in Word 2003?
You're inserting the PPS file into a new, blank Word document?

Do you get the same result if you start Word in Office safe mode
(hold ctrl key while starting Word).

=========
"Ian_T" wrote in message ups.com...
[...]

Ian_T

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. The build number for Microsoft Word is
(11.6359.6360) SP1

It's certainly doesn't seem to be saving the full file inside the Word
doc, because I did the following test:
1. I sent the original .pps file as well as the .doc file with the
embedded .pps to someone else
2. They were able to see the full file when opening it directly, but
they saw only the same options as I did when looking at the embedded
version within Word.
3. If they then embed the .pps file in a new Word doc, they are able to
double-click on it and see both slides.

I started Word in safe mode and looked at the .doc file - as expected
it was just the one slide.
I also started Word in safe mode, created a new document, and embedded
the .pps file. I get the same results. (And the right click shows
'Slide object' as opposed to 'Presentation object')

So, it looks like my Word is somehow set up to only save a PowerPoint
presentation (whether .pps or .ppt) as a single slide?!

Regards,
Ian

Bob Buckland ?:-) (At Beautiful Downtown) wrote:
[...]

Ian_T

One other point, I also tried going to PowerPoint, opening the
presentation with two slides and selecting them both and copying them.
In Word, I did a 'Paste special...', selected Microsoft PowerPoint
Presentation Object and clicked the 'Display as icon' checkbox.
The icon in the Word document had the caption 'Microsoft PowerPoint
Presentation', but still had the same problems as previously noted (can
only see the first slide; right click shows the 'Slide Object' option,
not 'Presentation Object').

Regards,
Ian Totman

Cindy M -WordMVP-

. com

.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Ian_T,

One other point, I also tried going to PowerPoint, opening the
presentation with two slides and selecting them both and copying them.
In Word, I did a 'Paste special...', selected Microsoft PowerPoint
Presentation Object and clicked the 'Display as icon' checkbox.
The icon in the Word document had the caption 'Microsoft PowerPoint
Presentation', but still had the same problems as previously noted (can
only see the first slide; right click shows the 'Slide Object' option,
not 'Presentation Object').

When embedding an OLE object, it's usual that just the "first page" will
be shown. If you try with a Word document into Excel, for example, you
can only display the first page.

The reverse, with Excel into Word, defaults to the first worksheet, but
you can select a different sheet, or even cell range, and that will
display when the object is exited.

A PowerPoint presentation object appears to have a similar behavior as a
Word Documetn object: double click it, and all the slides I copied are
available in a slide show. This is actually what I would expect.

However, when I right-click I do see "Presentation Object", not Slide
Object. If Word isn't able to embed the proper OLE Object type, then
something *outside Word* may be interfering with the OLE. This type of
problem has been cropping up a lot in recent months, with the plethora of
"management", anti-virus, and Addin software.

If you hold CTRL to start Word in Safe Mode, then try the copy/paste
special, does the problem persist?

How about if you boot Windows in Safe Mode?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Ian_T

If you hold CTRL to start Word in Safe Mode, then try the copy/paste
special, does the problem persist?

I tested this and the problem is stil the same.

How about if you boot Windows in Safe Mode?

I don't seem to be able to boot in Safe Mode as this is actually a work
pc with restrictions. Others at work ARE able to see full presentations
embedded in Word docs though.

Still seems as though I have somehow set some option in Word, but I've
searched through all the help and options that I could think of and
can't find anything!

Ian