Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

Default How create a 'style' for footnote references?

How does one go about creating a 'style' specifically for footnote references
-- i.e., both in the text and in the footnotes themselves?

Basically, I would like these references to have a different appearance and
font size than the default.

And within the footnote itself, there's the problem of keeping the
formatting of the 'reference' separate from that of the footnote 'text.' Not
sure how to do that.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There is already a built-in Footnote Reference style, which is applied to
the footnote reference by default. All you have to do is modify it. It is a
character style, applied only to the reference mark.

http://word.mvps.org

"mkraft" wrote in message
How does one go about creating a 'style' specifically for footnote
references
-- i.e., both in the text and in the footnotes themselves?

Basically, I would like these references to have a different appearance
and
font size than the default.

And within the footnote itself, there's the problem of keeping the
formatting of the 'reference' separate from that of the footnote 'text.'
Not
sure how to do that.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word is going to use the Footnote reference and Footnote text styles by
default. There's no way to change that. However, there's no reason you can't
modify those styles to get the formatting results you want.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"mkraft" wrote in message
How does one go about creating a 'style' specifically for footnote
references
-- i.e., both in the text and in the footnotes themselves?

Basically, I would like these references to have a different appearance
and
font size than the default.

And within the footnote itself, there's the problem of keeping the
formatting of the 'reference' separate from that of the footnote 'text.'
Not
sure how to do that.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

There is already a built-in Footnote Reference style, which is applied to
the footnote reference by default. All you have to do is modify it. It is a
character style, applied only to the reference mark.

I've seen that but in the document I'm working on, for some reason that
style wasn't used.

I suppose I could modify the default style (assuming it hasn't been deleted)
and then run a find-&-replace to replace the current footnote style (which I
think is just 'body text') - ?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Word is going to use the Footnote reference and Footnote text styles by
default. There's no way to change that. However, there's no reason you can't
modify those styles to get the formatting results you want.

Thanks, but as mentioned above, somehow the default styles didn't end up
being used in the footnotes of the document in question.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The footnote itself should not be Body Text. It should be Footnote Text. If
it is not, you might want to change that as well. You can apply the Footnote
Reference style (however defined) using Find and Replace, searching for ^f
(footnote reference mark). Be sure to run the replace in both the document
body and the footnotes (if you use Replace All, Word will search all
document stories in turn).

http://word.mvps.org

"mkraft" wrote in message
There is already a built-in Footnote Reference style, which is applied to
the footnote reference by default. All you have to do is modify it. It is
character style, applied only to the reference mark.

I've seen that but in the document I'm working on, for some reason that
style wasn't used.

I suppose I could modify the default style (assuming it hasn't been
deleted)
and then run a find-&-replace to replace the current footnote style (which
think is just 'body text') - ?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The footnote itself should not be Body Text. It should be Footnote Text. If
it is not, you might want to change that as well. You can apply the Footnote
Reference style (however defined) using Find and Replace, searching for ^f
(footnote reference mark). Be sure to run the replace in both the document
body and the footnotes (if you use Replace All, Word will search all
document stories in turn).

I'll have to run Find and Replace twice, won't I -- i.e., once for the
Footnote Reference 'style' and once for the Footnote Text 'style' - ?

Can Find and Replace convert footnotes that are styled in 'body text' to
'footnote text'? If so, how would that be done?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You apply Footnote Text to the entire footnote, including the reference
mark. Then you apply Footnote Reference to the reference mark only.

http://word.mvps.org

"mkraft" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The footnote itself should not be Body Text. It should be Footnote Text.
If
it is not, you might want to change that as well. You can apply the
Footnote
Reference style (however defined) using Find and Replace, searching for
^f
(footnote reference mark). Be sure to run the replace in both the
document
body and the footnotes (if you use Replace All, Word will search all
document stories in turn).

I'll have to run Find and Replace twice, won't I -- i.e., once for the
Footnote Reference 'style' and once for the Footnote Text 'style' - ?

Can Find and Replace convert footnotes that are styled in 'body text' to
'footnote text'? If so, how would that be done?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As Suzanne said, in the find what box, put ^f. In the the replace with box
put nothing. But with the cursor in the replace box, click More format
style and from the replace style dialog choose Footnote reference or
Footnote Text (note that you could choose some other style, though that's
probably not a best practice).

PamC

mkraft wrote:
The footnote itself should not be Body Text. It should be Footnote Text. If
it is not, you might want to change that as well. You can apply the Footnote
Reference style (however defined) using Find and Replace, searching for ^f
(footnote reference mark). Be sure to run the replace in both the document
body and the footnotes (if you use Replace All, Word will search all
document stories in turn).

I'll have to run Find and Replace twice, won't I -- i.e., once for the
Footnote Reference 'style' and once for the Footnote Text 'style' - ?

Can Find and Replace convert footnotes that are styled in 'body text' to
'footnote text'? If so, how would that be done?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That might happen if the document was converted from a different program. It
cannot "happen" with footnotes created in the default Word, however. Either,
someone explicitly monkeyed with the formatting after the footnote(s) were
inserted, or there is some 3rd party add-in that's running interference. In
either of the latter two cases, you're in for a frustrating future unless
you can nip the cause in the bud.