Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Phyllis Corella

Default formatting

I have Word 2002. I am trying to do a transcription where the copy should
look like this:

Mrs. Smith: Good morning Mrs. Jones. How are you today?

Mrs. Jones: I am fine.

Instead it looks like this.

Mrs. Smith: What did you do yesterday with your daughter? I
know you told me she was coming over.

Mrs. Jones: We went shopping all day. Boy did I really have a
good time. I spent a lot of money, but it was fun.

Is there any way I can get the paragraph after the colon to indent so that
it looks like a q and a report? Thanks in advance for all your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Select the text and, on the Format menu, click Paragraph. Click the
Indents and Spacing tab. At "Indentation", choose "Hanging" in the
"Special" box, and specify the desired value. (You can create
a paragraph style with these settings.)

Note that the hanging indent setting assumes that you do *not* press
Enter at the end of each line (in Word, you should only press Enter
when you want to create a new paragraph).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Phyllis Corella" wrote in message
I have Word 2002. I am trying to do a transcription where the copy

should
look like this:

Mrs. Smith: Good morning Mrs. Jones. How are you today?

Mrs. Jones: I am fine.

Instead it looks like this.

Mrs. Smith: What did you do yesterday with your

daughter? I
know you told me she was coming over.

Mrs. Jones: We went shopping all day. Boy did I really

have a
good time. I spent a lot of money, but it was fun.

Is there any way I can get the paragraph after the colon to indent

so that
it looks like a q and a report? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luc

Phyllis,
Two things you can do. Use a tabstop after your colon to jump to your text.
Click in the ruler to set your left aligned tab. Now adjust the indent in
the ruler, drag the bottom two carats to line up with the tab. Now when your
press enter you will be flush with your left margin, type Mrs. Smith a colon
and press the tab key. Type all the text you want it will line up correctly
no matter how many lines you type. For each new dialog press enter type the
name a colon press tab key.

Second possibitlity and probably the best, make a table: two columns and a
few rows. Adjust your columns width, consider making the lines disappear by
applying a no line border.
Luc Sanders (MVP - PowerPoint)
"Phyllis Corella" schreef in
bericht ...
I have Word 2002. I am trying to do a transcription where the copy should
look like this:

Mrs. Smith: Good morning Mrs. Jones. How are you today?

Mrs. Jones: I am fine.

Instead it looks like this.

Mrs. Smith: What did you do yesterday with your daughter? I
know you told me she was coming over.

Mrs. Jones: We went shopping all day. Boy did I really have a
good time. I spent a lot of money, but it was fun.

Is there any way I can get the paragraph after the colon to indent so that
it looks like a q and a report? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Note that Word automatically defines a tab stop if you specify a
hanging indent for a paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP