Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BillA BillA is offline

Default PDF Maker adding text to reference field

Using MS Word 2003: As I convert documents from MS Word to .pdf (using PDF
PageMaker), I am now experiencing a problem with what looks like additional
text being placed in front of a field which references a bookmark in my Word
document.

The additional text seems to be the code Word uses to reference the Word
bookmark.

This has thrown me for quite a loop because in addition to updating my
Professional 7 to 8 recently, I have also updated 8 with the recently release
8.1.2. This is the first time I have had this problem!

I'm working on a large project with separate word documents that have to be
converted and then merged, as a single PDF... and this is slowing me down.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BillA BillA is offline

UPDATE: I've just discovered something that I need to add to my original
posting:
The additional code is showing up in header and footers only.

When I place a reference field in the body of my document it converts
properly. However, when it does convert properly in the body, it creates a
hyperlink back to the referenced word - which is not my intention. My intent
was to create a bookmarked area that will propagate its contents throughout
the document (in the header/footer etc...).
I wish I stuck with Professional 7.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Bill

"BillA" wrote:

Using MS Word 2003: As I convert documents from MS Word to .pdf (using PDF
PageMaker), I am now experiencing a problem with what looks like additional
text being placed in front of a field which references a bookmark in my Word
document.

The additional text seems to be the code Word uses to reference the Word
bookmark.

This has thrown me for quite a loop because in addition to updating my
Professional 7 to 8 recently, I have also updated 8 with the recently release
8.1.2. This is the first time I have had this problem!

I'm working on a large project with separate word documents that have to be
converted and then merged, as a single PDF... and this is slowing me down.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you have tools options print field codes checked? If so uncheck it.
If not describe *exactly* the steps you have taken to insert the field into
the document and what is erroneously reproduced in the PDF so that we may
try and reproduce the problem.

"BillA" wrote:

Using MS Word 2003: As I convert documents from MS Word to .pdf
(using PDF PageMaker), I am now experiencing a problem with what
looks like additional text being placed in front of a field which
references a bookmark in my Word document.

The additional text seems to be the code Word uses to reference the
Word bookmark.

This has thrown me for quite a loop because in addition to updating
my Professional 7 to 8 recently, I have also updated 8 with the
recently release
8.1.2. This is the first time I have had this problem!

I'm working on a large project with separate word documents that
have to be converted and then merged, as a single PDF... and this is
slowing me down.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BillA BillA is offline

Hello Graham:

Please allow me to describe the situation a little clearer. In my Word
document(s) I have a reference field in my header and footer that points to a
bookmark in the main document - the chapter name and number. In total I have
14 'chapters' created in word, all using the same style template.

This problem is new, as I successfully converted these documents using PDF
maker just a month ago. Since then I've upgraded to Acrobat Pro.8 and
updated 8.1.2. I am using MS Word 2003.

In Word I have the 'Include in document - field codes' turned off. The only
style elements I have check in PDF Maker conversion settings are the same as
I had checked a month ago - nothing has changed there. Yet when converting,
additional text is placed in front of the Chapter name and number in both the
Header and Footer area of the generated PDF document; in all attempts
(different chapters) the extra text is "0B" (zero - B).

As a test - when I place the same reference field in the body of my Word
document, and convert it - it works fine (no extra text/code), but it
includes a hyperlink - that takes me to the referenced Chapter Name and
Number.

I'm at a loss to understand why this is happening.

Thank you for your interest in my dilemma.
Bill

"BillA" wrote:

Using MS Word 2003: As I convert documents from MS Word to .pdf
(using PDF PageMaker), I am now experiencing a problem with what
looks like additional text being placed in front of a field which
references a bookmark in my Word document.

The additional text seems to be the code Word uses to reference the
Word bookmark.

This has thrown me for quite a loop because in addition to updating
my Professional 7 to 8 recently, I have also updated 8 with the
recently release
8.1.2. This is the first time I have had this problem!

I'm working on a large project with separate word documents that
have to be converted and then merged, as a single PDF... and this is
slowing me down.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BillA BillA is offline

Hi Graham:

I threw out a large net to see if anyone experienced this issue, and I
received this note from a moderator on the Acrobat Users Forum:

"Unfortunately this is a known issue with Acrobat 8. The program adds
sequential extraneous characters to the Word header if you insert a
'StyleRef' field in 'First page header' in the word document and even/odd
headers."

As a work around I've turned off "Preserve Formatting During Updates" in
each of the referenced fields. This has kept the additional code from
appearing.
I'll need to keep this in mind for future changes.

I guess we'll have to wait until Adobe fixes this issue.

Thanks again for your time,
Bill