Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jexie jexie is offline

Default Bent arrow at end of line

On documents that I have copied I see a little right angle arrow. How do I
get this mark instead of a paragraph mark every time hit enter. I understand
that the paragraph mark contains style info for that paragraph and you only
want one at the end of the paragraph?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The right angle arrow indicates a line break. To insert such a break, press
Shift+Enter.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jexie" wrote in message
On documents that I have copied I see a little right angle arrow. How do
get this mark instead of a paragraph mark every time hit enter. I
understand
that the paragraph mark contains style info for that paragraph and you
only
want one at the end of the paragraph?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For more on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

By the way, if your goal is to make text lines shorter in some paragraphs,
right (and/or left) indents are usually a better way than line breaks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jexie" wrote in message
On documents that I have copied I see a little right angle arrow. How do
get this mark instead of a paragraph mark every time hit enter. I
understand
that the paragraph mark contains style info for that paragraph and you
only
want one at the end of the paragraph?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jexie jexie is offline

Thank you for the link. It was very helpful. The reason I need line breaks
is for variable length lines like in poems and song lyrics.

"jexie" wrote in message
On documents that I have copied I see a little right angle arrow. How do
get this mark instead of a paragraph mark every time hit enter. I
understand
that the paragraph mark contains style info for that paragraph and you
only
want one at the end of the paragraph?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK, with poems and song lyrics it's quite all right to use line breaks. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jexie" wrote in message
On documents that I have copied I see a little right angle arrow. How
do
get this mark instead of a paragraph mark every time hit enter. I
understand
that the paragraph mark contains style info for that paragraph and you
only
want one at the end of the paragraph?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Bent arrow at end of line

Instructions to Modify Formatting Marks in Word
  1. Click on the File tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  2. Click on Options at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options dialog box, click on Display in the left-hand menu.
  4. Under the Always show these formatting marks on the screen section, check the box next to Tab characters and Spaces.
  5. Uncheck the box next to Paragraph marks.
  6. Click OK to save your changes.

It sounds like you're referring to the "Show/Hide" button in Microsoft Word, which displays non-printing characters such as paragraph marks, tabs, and spaces. When you hit the Enter key, a paragraph mark is inserted to indicate the end of a paragraph.

To insert a bent arrow at the end of a line instead of a paragraph mark every time you hit Enter, you can modify the formatting marks in Word. Keep in mind that this only affects the display of formatting marks on your screen - it does not change the actual formatting of your document.

If you want to include any macro or Visual Basic code, wrap it in the
PHP Code:
and
tags.