Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Stuart Summerville

Default Outline level auto-select custom style

Hello,

I have a word document that has custom styles defined, each
for their own outline level.

It all works fine, except for one aspect: trying to alter
the level number in outline mode using Alt-Shift-Left/Right
correctly changes the level number, but it doesn't change
the style. eg. if current para is Level2, Style MyStle_L2,
hitting Alt-Shift-Left will set it at Level1, but the style
will stay at MyStyle_L2.

Any suggestions?

some other tidbits:
- the styles MyStyle_L1... MyStyle_L5 are all cascaded,
with MyStyle_L1 being based on Normal style.
- All these custom styles have the level-Style mapping
set the same, presumably because I set them up in
MyStyle_L1, and the rest are cascaded versions of this.
- due to this problem, whenever I want to pro/de-mote a
para to another level, I always re-apply the required style
to the para. I never directly indent the para.
- The doc was originally made up of a mish-mash of other
styles and direct format/numbering edits applied all over,
which I've now totally replaced with my custom styles, and
all appears to work well, other than this problem.
- The only difference I can see between my custom styles
and the default Heading1... Heading5 styles is that the
defaults aren't cascaded, and the level-style mapping
isn't done for all levels in all styles - just the
particular level for each particular style. The reason I'm
not concerned about this is that various outline info
websites (eg. 7 outline laws @ microsystems.com, and
shaunakelly.com) suggest doing things my way anyway.

Any help appreciated.