Frank Drost

Default Page Number and Page header on the first page

Hi, I have another puzzle.

The first page of each new chapter (chapters are separated
by a section break -next page)is different than the
headers in the rest of the chapter. I have page numbering
at the bottom, continuous through the whole document.
However, if I set page number on for the first page of
each chapter, the header changes to the same text as the
header text in the rest of the chapter.
So, either it seems I can say that the header is different
for the first page, but I won't have a page number, or I
have a page number on the first page, but the same header
as in the rest of the chapter. I don't want that. I want a
page number AND a different header. Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you.

Jezebel

Go to File Page Setup. On the Layout tab, check the 'Different First Page'
checkbox. This means that in each (or nominated) sections, the first page of
the section has different headers and footers to the rest of the section.
You can also choose whether all sections use the same first page and
subsequent page headers, or whether they are entirely different for all
sections.

Probably worth creating a dummy document and experimenting, until you're
comfortable with what's going on.

"Frank Drost" wrote in message
Hi, I have another puzzle.

The first page of each new chapter (chapters are separated
by a section break -next page)is different than the
headers in the rest of the chapter. I have page numbering
at the bottom, continuous through the whole document.
However, if I set page number on for the first page of
each chapter, the header changes to the same text as the
header text in the rest of the chapter.
So, either it seems I can say that the header is different
for the first page, but I won't have a page number, or I
have a page number on the first page, but the same header
as in the rest of the chapter. I don't want that. I want a
page number AND a different header. Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you.

Margaret Aldis

To add to this explanation of what you *should* do, what you then
*shouldn't* do is try to insert or control the page numbers from Insert
Page Number. Instead, work in Header and Footer view and add the page
numbers in those headers where you want them. Note that 'Same as Previous'
links headers and footers of the same type, so if all the chapters have the
same format you will probably only need to set up one first page header and
one follow-on header (or one each for recto/verso pages).
--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Also, if you want the primary header in each chapter to include the chapter
title, it is not necessary to unlink the sections to achieve this, which can
be accomplished with a StyleRef field. For more, see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...