renee1021

Default How do I change my Normal template?

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow changed so that
it now has text in it. I've read the previous posts about this, and none of
them has worked. Does anyone know how to change the Normal template so that
it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandhill54 Sandhill54 is offline

I've not read the other posts, so I'm not sure what they said. I just today
upgraded to Office 2007 (that's why I was here looking for answers to
something else).

When I had Word 2002, this is how I adjusted the normal.dot. I'll see if I
remember it without being able to see it.

In Word, click File, Open, then click on the bottom window to select
"template .dot" or something like that. It should automatically take you to
the place Office keeps the templates.

In my Office 2002, templates were in my user account (the name that I
clicked on to start Windows), then Applications (or something like that),
Microsoft, Templates. Or, in Windows Explorer or My Computer, do a search on
"normal.dot". It will show you where the normal.dot is kept. Write down the
path and then you can navigate to it in Word.

Open normal.dot, and make your changes. Save it and then close it. That
should fix it.

Good luck!

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow changed so that
it now has text in it. I've read the previous posts about this, and none of
them has worked. Does anyone know how to change the Normal template so that
it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that you have replied to a message that is three years old.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow changed so that
it now has text in it. I've read the previous posts about this, and none of
them has worked. Does anyone know how to change the Normal template so that
it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandhill54 Sandhill54 is offline

How embarrassing; thanks for telling me. Shows how brain-dead I was after
upgrading my Office XP to 2007, huh?

I was searching for help on changing the normal template in Word 2007 to fit
my needs, and ended up there. I was so relieved to see that I might have a
bit of knowledge to contribute, I just answered it.

Next time I try to be helpful, I'll check the date.

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow changed so that
it now has text in it. I've read the previous posts about this, and none of
them has worked. Does anyone know how to change the Normal template so that
it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, the underlying problem is that the search results you get in the web
interface for newsgroups are not sorted by date. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow changed
so that
it now has text in it. I've read the previous posts about this, and
none of
them has worked. Does anyone know how to change the Normal template
so that
it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Meek Barb Meek is offline

I'm very frustrated trying to change my normal.dotm in Word 2007. First of
all, the directions for even locating it are inaccurate in Microsoft's help
center. But...I searched and think I found the document anyway. For some
reason, the "normal" style defaults to "10 pt after paragraph" and won't
accept my change to delete that. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong
normal.dotm file. There seem to be several.

Any way I can find the real base template for my blank documents and get it
to stop doing that?

Any help is appreciated -- Barb

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow changed so that
it now has text in it. I've read the previous posts about this, and none of
them has worked. Does anyone know how to change the Normal template so that
it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Barb,

With a blank document open, try using Alt, T, I
and then in the dialog that comes up if the Attached template listed is 'Normal' click on the [Attach] button. That will take you
to the folder where the currently in use copy resides

Can you provide a link or a title of the help page that appears to have the incorrect information?

===========
"Barb Meek" wrote in message ...
I'm very frustrated trying to change my normal.dotm in Word 2007. First of
all, the directions for even locating it are inaccurate in Microsoft's help
center. But...I searched and think I found the document anyway. For some
reason, the "normal" style defaults to "10 pt after paragraph" and won't
accept my change to delete that. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong
normal.dotm file. There seem to be several.

Any way I can find the real base template for my blank documents and get it
to stop doing that?

Any help is appreciated -- Barb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There should only be one normal.dotm file (the others could be links?) and
it will be in the folder defined at Word Options Advanced File Locations
User Templates. If there really are more than one normal template, you

might investigate why the rest are present and if they are not required by
other users, remove them.

With the template open for editing, you can edit the normal style to remove
the spacing (and it might be a plan to edit the no spacing style and add the
spacing - then rename it (say) Spaced Normal.)

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow
changed so that it now has text in it. I've read the previous
posts about this, and none of them has worked. Does anyone know
how to change the Normal template so that it comes up blank?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dr. Paul Dr. Paul is offline

Bob,

After Barb Meek wrote, "the directions for even locating it [Normal.dotx]
are inaccurate in Microsoft's help center," you asked, "Can you provide a
link or a title of the help page that appears to have the incorrect
information?"

Having just gotten Word 2007 two days ago and like Barb wanting to edit
Normal.dotm, I believe I may have experienced her problem.

But there were two different ways in which Word Help seemed to mislead me.

(1) In Word Help, I searched for "Normal.dotx." The first result was "Change
the Normal template (Normal.dotm)." Clicking this result provided the
following directions:

"Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open. ... In Microsoft
Windows Vista: Click Templates, and then double-click the Normal.dotm file to
open it."

Clicking the Microsoft Office Button, then clicking Open, brings up Windows
Explorer inside the dialog box. "Templates," of course, is the first item in
the navigation pane on the left, in the top half called "Favorite Links."

However, previously, while in Windows Explorer itself, I had moved the
horizontal bar in the navigation pane upward so that I could see more of the
directory tree in the bottom half ofd the navigation pane. In fact, I had
moved the bar so high that I covered over all of the "Favorite Links.," I
thought to myself, "Who needs 'Favorite Links'? I can always find what I need
via the directory tree."

Consequently, when Windows Explorer appeared in the Word dialog box, there
was no "Templates" item for me to click on. It seemed that Windows Help was
misdirecting me. Perhaps this is why it seemed to Barb that "the directions
for even locating [Normal.dotx] are inaccurate in Microsoft's help center."

(2) The other possibility is this.

In Word Help, I searched for "Normal.dotx." The fourterenth result was
"Create a new template." Since I couldn't find Normal.dotx, I thought to
myself, "Perhaps I'll create my own template and tell Word 2007 to always
load it."

Clicking on "Create a new template" provided the following directions:

"You can find Word templates for most kinds of documents on Microsoft Office
Online. If you have an Internet connection, click the Microsoft Office
Button, click New, and then click the template category that you want."

Clicking the Microsoft Office Button, then clicking New, brings up the "New
Document" page. In the left pane, there are two headings: "Templates" and
"Microsoft Office Online." But because they have gray backgrounds, I did not
realize that they were two headers. I did not even see the "Templates"
heading immediately under "New Documents"; and I assumed that "Microsoft
Office Online" was in a gray rectangle because Word Help was highlighting it
by default. So the templates that I saw in the right pane -- "Blank Document"
etc. -- were assumed by me to be the only offerings available under
"Microsoft Office Online."

Now, of course, I realize that "Templates" is the first heading, with four
items under it, and that "Microsoft Office Online" is the second heading,
with many items under it. But on first seeing the "New Documents" page, I was
quite confused.

My confusion in the two instances above are just the sort of mistake that
new users make. If it is possible to bring these difficulties to the
attention of the writers of Word's help files or of Microsoft's usability lab
workers, I -- and probably many other new users as well -- would be most
grateful.

"Barb Meek" wrote in message ...
I'm very frustrated trying to change my normal.dotm in Word 2007. First of
all, the directions for even locating it are inaccurate in Microsoft's help
center. But...I searched and think I found the document anyway. For some
reason, the "normal" style defaults to "10 pt after paragraph" and won't
accept my change to delete that. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong
normal.dotm file. There seem to be several.

Any way I can find the real base template for my blank documents and get it
to stop doing that?

Any help is appreciated -- Barb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JGT JGT is offline

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It has never been possible to "merge the template of the open document into"
Normal.dot. It is (still) possible to set some defaults in a document that
are saved to Normal.dot (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...lTemplate.htm), and
many customizations are saved in Normal.dot (or Normal.dotm) by default.

"JGT" wrote in message
OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file.
In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document
into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kate Mehanna Kate Mehanna is offline

You have just saved my life - already lost two hours off it due to
Microsoft's inaccurate (to say the least) instructions. After Alt T and I
though I struggled a bit cos it wouldn't change the original Normal.dot
because a Word document was open. I managed to figure it out in the end
although my PC kept insisting that I didn't have one. Also it didn't show up
on a Search of the whold computer...I guess I didn't search in hidden files
as well although I thought I did. Anyway, I achieved what I wanted and
furthermore there will be many floating ladies in the secretariat who will
lie down and kiss my feet for this info (what an awful thought!). A thousand
thanks.

"Barb Meek" wrote in message ...
I'm very frustrated trying to change my normal.dotm in Word 2007. First of
all, the directions for even locating it are inaccurate in Microsoft's help
center. But...I searched and think I found the document anyway. For some
reason, the "normal" style defaults to "10 pt after paragraph" and won't
accept my change to delete that. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong
normal.dotm file. There seem to be several.

Any way I can find the real base template for my blank documents and get it
to stop doing that?

Any help is appreciated -- Barb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Doug is offline

If Microsoft didn't keep changing things around and forcing us to buy their
new products, they wouldn't have enough business. This is madenning. They
should write a book on how to make a simple task a major pain-in-the-ass,
because this used to be simple. What a waste of time!

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MM MM is offline

I absolutely agree. I'm having the same problem. I have extensively
modified my 2003 Normal.dot template. I tried renaming it and putting it
into 2007 and 2007 won't recognize it. I'm starting to panic about this
program. I have been using a different version of word since dos days (over
18 years) and this version is not intended to be used by "professionals", it
looks as if it has been created for 1st time users. Perhaps Microsoft should
have asked those of us who use it ALL the time to have some input into the
redesign.

Does anyone have any more information on loading older versions of
normal.dot into the new and "improved?" 2007?

I manage offices across Canada with over 4,000 staff members and I need to
fix this problem before I release the new templates. HELP!

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you put it in your Word Startup folder _without_ changing its
name? That's what the MVPs told me to do last year, and lo and behold,
all my keyboard shortcut customizations were back!

"JGT" wrote:
OK *now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file.. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maria Maria is offline

I've tried it numerous ways. I opened Normal.dot, saved it as Normal.dotx,
tried modifying the template and the modifications won't stay attached the
same way Word 2003 did. I have been spending my whole day trying to figure
this out. I'm seconds away from calling our head IT guys and telling them to
scrap this update. Oh if I had the power.

"JGT" wrote:
OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file.. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
busedteach busedteach is offline

I agree. Why on earth would they change the default document to space 1.15
anyway. No one types documents with that kind of spacing. I am a teacher
and it is annoying to have to explain to each student how to change their
document every time they open it up. I've had no luck yet figuring out how
to change the templete. Wasting my valuable time I need to planning for class!

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, you can do the following to change the document defaults:
Display the Styles pane, for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S. Click the
Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the desired settings.
Before clicking OK, select "New documents based on this template."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post.
Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what
I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm
file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open
document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
defreeed defreeed is offline

I found this site helpful. It assumes you understand to click 'OK' to save
settings changes, but otherwise steps you through the process:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6137320.html

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post.
Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what
I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm
file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open
document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You may also want to take a look at this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...onsistent.aspx

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post.
Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT
step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover
what
I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive
modifications
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm
file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open
document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vhg vhg is offline

Hi all,
Ok, I've been struggling with the same issue in trying to change the default
document line spacing for Word 2007 & I believe I may have figured something
out - no thanks to microsoft, just trial & error. If anyone is interested
try the following:

Open a new document.
From the "Home" tab go over to "Styles" & click on the down arrow at the
bottom right corner of that "Styles" box.
You should see a list of Styles.
If you run your cursor over the "Normal" style you should see a drop down
arrow, click this.
From the next menu, click Modify.
In the next dialogue box make all the changes you'd like to have to your
default document - line spacing, fonts, (you can even change paragraph
settings), etc.
Before clicking ok, make sure you select "New Documents Based On This
Template".
Then click ok.
From there, just save this document & close it.
When you create a new document, it should have the new settings saved for
your default document.... it worked for me anyway.
Good luck!!

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open the styles dialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 9:41*am, vhg wrote:

Hi all,
Ok, I've been struggling with the same issue in trying to change the default
document line spacing for Word 2007 & I believe I may have figured something
out - no thanks to microsoft, just trial & error. *If anyone is interested
try the following:

Open a new document.
From the "Home" tab go over to "Styles" & click on the down arrow at the
bottom right corner of that "Styles" box. *
You should see a list of Styles.
If you run your cursor over the "Normal" style you should see a drop down
arrow, click this.
From the next menu, click Modify.
In the next dialogue box make all the changes you'd like to have to your
default document - line spacing, fonts, (you can even change paragraph
settings), etc. *
Before clicking ok, make sure you select "New Documents Based On This
Template".
Then click ok.
From there, just save this document & close it.

"JGT" wrote:

OK *now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

?! In all these years, no one has mentioned that. I've been using the
three buttons since someone mentioned it here. I see from my Word-
generated Keyboard Shortcuts list printed 9/7/05 that the two-button
and not the three-button version is listed.

On Sep 10, 10:26*am, Cheryl Flanders
wrote:
A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open the styles dialog box. *No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at the Styles panel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But note that the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S) doesn't have all the
options of the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open the styles dialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at the Styles panel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But it works differently in Word 2007 than it did in previous versions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open the styles dialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at the Styles panel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just remembered to check this out -- I don't see the use of the
Apply Styles panel: it seems that it does (some of) the same things as
the Styles and Formatting panel, but with one more click (on the
dropdown in order to select the style you want).

wrote:

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open thestylesdialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at theStylespanel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A good thing about the Apply Styles pane is that you can *type* a style
name; Word will autocomplete it and you can then press Enter to apply it.

Note that if you type a nonexisting style name, pressing Enter will create
such a style (as a paragraph style).

--

wrote:

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open thestylesdialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at theStylespanel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I tried typing a new style name. It created it and applied it to the
paragraph the cursor was in -- but the method doesn't save any
keystrokes over the New Style button on Styles & Formatting, because
you have to choose Modify in order to make it into a different style.

wrote:

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open thestylesdialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at theStylespanel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, if you first apply direct formatting to text, typing a style name
and pressing Enter will incorporate that formatting into the style you are
creating.

Of course, which method you prefer is largely a matter of taste.

--

wrote:

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open thestylesdialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at theStylespanel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Scanlan Jim Scanlan is offline

Finally, a straight-forward answer. (The help in Word 2007 was not helpful
at all for doing this.) BTW, I'm a Technical Writer.

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post.
Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what
I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm
file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open
document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post.
Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT
step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover
what
I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive
modifications
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm
file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open
document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RachelK RachelK is offline

Thank you so much - I've been trying to figure out how to change the normal
template in 2007 for months! None of the help instructions were clear enough.
Just stated "...Open the template and make sure you have the template open
before you make changes..."
Thanks again!

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
techcnc techcnc is offline

It is easy enough to change the normal.dotm template. But what is normal
spacing anyway? There was probably a good reason to make it 1.15. I changed
mine to 1.0 just because I like round numbers.

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...alTemplate.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"techcnc" wrote in message
news

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post.
Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass
change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT
step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover
what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive
modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm
file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open
document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Setting it to "Multiple" and 1.0 is the same as setting it to
"Single".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"JGT" wrote:

OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?

Switching to Normal template fails... jabroni Page Layout 0 July 15th 05 09:02 PM
Change language in WORD in Normal.dot template Screen/Display size Microsoft Word Help 1 July 15th 05 02:29 PM
Normal template lindsays Mailmerge 1 May 3rd 05 11:40 PM
can I change the normal (global) template so word always opens wi. queenjude Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 05 08:27 PM
Change the Normal template properties? Jackie Microsoft Word Help 1 February 24th 05 08:54 PM