Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy

Default Outline Numbered list

When I use Capital Roman Numerals for my level 1 why does it tab so far over
when you get to Roman Numeral 7. I tried to fix it using the tab distance
between the bullet and the text but this will not work. How do I bring the
text closer to the bullet?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Amy

Amy wrote:
When I use Capital Roman Numerals for my level 1 why does it tab so far over
when you get to Roman Numeral 7. I tried to fix it using the tab distance
between the bullet and the text but this will not work. How do I bring the
text closer to the bullet?

Most probably this really is a problem with your tab setting: the "VII"
brings you farther to the right than the intended tab stop and hence the
next tab kicks in. Simply enhance the tab value (through the numbering
property of your style), and you should be fine.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You were taking the right tack in changing the tab setting, but you must do
this in the Bullets and Numbering dialog, not in the Tabs dialog, and the
setting you must change is "Tab space after." But note that if your roman
numerals are right-aligned (as they should be), you may also want to
increase the "Aligned at" setting to allow the longest numeral to clear the
margin. This actually makes it easier for you: by right-aligning the
numerals, you define where you want them to end; then all you have to do is
allow a reasonable amount of space between that setting and the "Tab space
after" setting (which will likely be the same as the "Indent at" setting).