Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BeckyB BeckyB is offline

Default fix a column width

I am creating a table which has 37 columns and the columns must have a fixed
width. The automatically resize to fit contents is unchecked and I have set
the table as fixed column width. Still the column width on the narrower
columns changes from 0.3cm to 0.31 cm. Can anyone help me with this as I am
tearing my Hair out.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Becky,

On the Table tab, click on the Options button and make sure the left & right cell margins are sufficiently small (eg 0.1cm).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"BeckyB" wrote in message news
I am creating a table which has 37 columns and the columns must have a fixed
width. The automatically resize to fit contents is unchecked and I have set
the table as fixed column width. Still the column width on the narrower
columns changes from 0.3cm to 0.31 cm. Can anyone help me with this as I am
tearing my Hair out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing...

You set the column width to 0.3 cm, and then when you open the dialog again
it shows 0.31 cm?
Could be a rounding error... One tenth of a millimeter isn't something you
will notice.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Klaus,

Using Word 2000 and 2007, when I set the columns width to 0.3cm and have 0.1cm left & right margins (or less), a 0.3cm width is what
Word says I get, not 0.31cm.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message ...
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing...

You set the column width to 0.3 cm, and then when you open the dialog again it shows 0.31 cm?
Could be a rounding error... One tenth of a millimeter isn't something you will notice.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"macropod" wrote:
Hi Klaus,

Using Word 2000 and 2007, when I set the columns width to 0.3cm and have
0.1cm left & right margins (or less), a 0.3cm width is what Word says I
get, not 0.31cm.

That's what I see, and the reason I asked g

OTOH, I think Word calculates internally with multiples of 0.05 pt.
If you use millimeters or centimeters, it's not too uncommon to have Word
change the value a tiny bit, to the nearest multiple of 0.05 pt.
If that's what happened, it wouldn't cause me to tear my hair out, as Becky
does.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Klaus,

With 37 columns, that extra 0.01 per column might make all the difference!

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"macropod" wrote:
Hi Klaus,

Using Word 2000 and 2007, when I set the columns width to 0.3cm and have
0.1cm left & right margins (or less), a 0.3cm width is what Word says I
get, not 0.31cm.

That's what I see, and the reason I asked g

OTOH, I think Word calculates internally with multiples of 0.05 pt.
If you use millimeters or centimeters, it's not too uncommon to have Word
change the value a tiny bit, to the nearest multiple of 0.05 pt.
If that's what happened, it wouldn't cause me to tear my hair out, as Becky
does.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Becky,

Just a thought:

Older versions of Word (eg Word 2000) were fussy about how small and adjustment one could make to a column's width. I often found I
needed to, say, increase the width by 0.5cm or more before reducing it by 0.6cm if all I wanted to do was to decrease the width by
0.1cm.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Becky,

On the Table tab, click on the Options button and make sure the left & right cell margins are sufficiently small (eg 0.1cm).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

"BeckyB" wrote in message news
I am creating a table which has 37 columns and the columns must have a fixed
width. The automatically resize to fit contents is unchecked and I have set
the table as fixed column width. Still the column width on the narrower
columns changes from 0.3cm to 0.31 cm. Can anyone help me with this as I am
tearing my Hair out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Becky,

Just a thought:

Older versions of Word (eg Word 2000) were fussy about how small and adjustment one could make to a column's width. I often found I
needed to, say, increase the width by 0.5cm or more before reducing it by 0.6cm if all I wanted to do was to decrease the width by
0.1cm.

Word 2003 is still like that... I can't believe they haven't fixed that...
Or have they? Is 2007 still like that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

2007 seems fine.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote in message
"macropod" wrote:

Hi Becky,

Just a thought:

Older versions of Word (eg Word 2000) were fussy about how small and adjustment one could make to a column's width. I often found
needed to, say, increase the width by 0.5cm or more before reducing it by 0.6cm if all I wanted to do was to decrease the width
by
0.1cm.

Word 2003 is still like that... I can't believe they haven't fixed that...
Or have they? Is 2007 still like that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"macropod" wrote:

2007 seems fine.

Good to know.
It only took 12 versions before they fixed it... :-)

Fix column width in a table catandmouse Page Layout 1 January 21st 07 02:30 AM
change column width Karen Tables 1 October 5th 06 08:11 PM
Can not set column width by code Shaw Tables 1 December 17th 05 08:08 AM
column width versus cell width 2dogs Tables 12 October 12th 05 01:54 AM
Is there a way to move a column and keep the width the same? LurfysMa New Users 7 June 21st 05 09:30 PM