Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ashley Autumn Ashley Autumn is offline

Default Can I stop Word from deleting my text when I type in front of it?

For some reason or another, Word will decide to start deleting my text when I
type in front of it. Meaning, I already have a sentence typed, like "My name
is Ashley," and if I try to change it to, "My first name is Ashley," the word
'name' starts to delete itself as I type the word 'first'. How the heck do I
stop this? I've tried saving the file, closing out of it, and then opening
it up again, but that won't work! Ahhh! What do I do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ashley Autumn Ashley Autumn is offline

Default How to stop Word from overwriting your text!

Okay, so I just figured out how to fix it. Apparently, I accidently hit the
"Insert" button on my keyboard, which turned off the 'insert' function and
turned on the 'overwrite' function. To correct this, simply hit the "Insert"
button on your keyboard again. Thank goodness my boss knew how to correct it!

"Ashley Autumn" wrote:

For some reason or another, Word will decide to start deleting my text when I
type in front of it. Meaning, I already have a sentence typed, like "My name
is Ashley," and if I try to change it to, "My first name is Ashley," the word
'name' starts to delete itself as I type the word 'first'. How the heck do I
stop this? I've tried saving the file, closing out of it, and then opening
it up again, but that won't work! Ahhh! What do I do?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I stop Word from deleting my text when I type in front of it?

Yes, you can stop Word from deleting your text when you type in front of it. This issue is caused by the "Overtype" mode in Word, which replaces the text in front of the cursor as you type. Here's how to turn it off:
  1. Open your Word document.
  2. Look for the "OVR" button on the status bar at the bottom of the screen. It should be next to the page number and word count.
  3. Click on the "OVR" button to turn off Overtype mode. The button should no longer be highlighted.
  4. Alternatively, you can also turn off Overtype mode by pressing the "Insert" key on your keyboard. Press it once to turn it off, and again to turn it back on.

Once Overtype mode is turned off, you should be able to type in front of your text without it being deleted. If you still have issues, try restarting Word or your computer to see if that helps.