Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
prmagpie prmagpie is offline

Default delete mail merge table

I have created several tables from Excel which then transfer over to word to
be used in mail merge. I would like to delete some of the tables which
display on the word side of the application. There appears to be no method
of doing that. Is there any way that this can be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

How do these tables "transfer over to Word"? Please describe in more detail
what you originally did to achieve that.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"prmagpie" wrote in message
I have created several tables from Excel which then transfer over to word
be used in mail merge. I would like to delete some of the tables which
display on the word side of the application. There appears to be no
method
of doing that. Is there any way that this can be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
prmagpie prmagpie is offline

I have followed the instructions in excel to create the mail merge tables.
When you then go to Word and click on the source excel document the tables
present themselves. I have deleted all tables on the Excel side but when I
go to word and click on the source excel document every mail merge table that
I have ever created is there. Since I have added information to the Excel
document I would like to create new tables for mail merge and delete the old
ones. I cannot find a method to get the tables out of the Word side of
mailmerge.

"prmagpie" wrote in message
I have created several tables from Excel which then transfer over to word
be used in mail merge. I would like to delete some of the tables which
display on the word side of the application. There appears to be no
method
of doing that. Is there any way that this can be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What you have written makes no sense at all.
Where are you seeing the 'tables'?
If you open attempt to add a data source to a Word mail merge, by default it
will seek that data source in the 'My Data Sources' folder. This folder like
any other folder can contain a variety of files.
Maybe http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm will help by
giving you an overview of mail merge?

"prmagpie" wrote in message
I have created several tables from Excel which then transfer over
to word to
be used in mail merge. I would like to delete some of the tables
which display on the word side of the application. There appears
to be no method
of doing that. Is there any way that this can be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds as if you are creating each new mail merge data source in the same
Excel workbook. If so, you will have multiple Excel worksheets in that
workbook and you will see one "tab" for each worksheet near the bottom of
the Excel window when you have the workbook open.

When you try to open the workbook in Word as a data source, Word lists all
the worksheets in the workbook.

If that is what is happening, what you should probably do is
a. start creating each new merge data source in a new Excel workbook in
your My Data Sources folder (or wherever you want)
b. when you have finished using that Excel workbook, move it out of the My
Data Sources" folder so that it is no longer available for selection, or
delete it if you really do not need it any more.

If you want to tidy up your existing workbook, you can right-click on each
worksheet's tab and delete that sheet. If you need to keep the data, you can
export the sheet's data first.

Peter Jamieson