Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_3_] Paul B[_3_] is offline

Default Update docs when normal.dot styles change

Hi. I just reworked most of my Heading styles in Word '03 and
saved the normal.dot. But when I open up an existing doc, the
changes are not reflected there. Organizer shows that the doc
stores its own versions of the styles, and it seems the only way
to update them is manually, which is not very practical.

I can see the hazards of having changes in normal.dot reflected
automatically in existing docs, but I'd be willing to pay the
price in order to have that function. Short of that, is there any
way to move all normal.dot styles over by command?

IIUC, the automatic update function for each style is about
updating in the reverse direction - from the docs to the
template.

Thanks for any insight.
p.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For each document, enable "Automatically update document styles" in Tools |
Templates and Add-Ins. Do this just once, to update the styles, then turn
the option off.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul B" wrote in message
Hi. I just reworked most of my Heading styles in Word '03 and
saved the normal.dot. But when I open up an existing doc, the
changes are not reflected there. Organizer shows that the doc
stores its own versions of the styles, and it seems the only way
to update them is manually, which is not very practical.

I can see the hazards of having changes in normal.dot reflected
automatically in existing docs, but I'd be willing to pay the
price in order to have that function. Short of that, is there any
way to move all normal.dot styles over by command?

IIUC, the automatic update function for each style is about
updating in the reverse direction - from the docs to the
template.

Thanks for any insight.
p.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_3_] Paul B[_3_] is offline

Very nice, Suzanne. That gives just about the perfect level of
control I was looking for.

Thanks a whole lot for your excellent help!
p.