Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Default Open and Repair Issue

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However, in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I've never seen this error. Have you tried restarting Windows?

Also, you may want to take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However, in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

Hello Stefan.

Yes, I have restarted Windows many times since discovering that I have have
no down arrow next to the *open* button and that doesn't seem to be the
issue.

What further confounds me is that I have Word 2003 additionally running on
my at-home computer and the *open* button there does have the down arrow,
Leading to the applicable *open and repair* feature.

I was thinking that it must be a set-up matter since the arrow remains
non-existent on the computer that I use at the office.

Nonetheless, thanks so much for your reply. Perhaps someone else within the
"forum" has experienced a similar situation and can shed some light in this
regard.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However, in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RPMitchal RPMitchal is offline

You know what, Suzanne? I hadn't even considered investigating the version
at the office. However, based upon your suggestion, I will do that first
thing Monday morning.

As always, thanks so very much.

Rod

"RPMitchal" wrote:

Word 2003

I apparently have a document that has a corrupted table within and I

receive
a prompt suggesting that I use the *open and repair* option. However,

in
following the instructions presented, I find that I have no *down

arrow*
beside the *open* box within the open file dialog menu.

Is there something within Word or its options that I need to either

change
or set-up in order to have the down arrow and the applicable features
attached to the *open* button?

Thanks in advance - Rod

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since I believe Open and Repair was introduced in Word 2003 and since Word
2002 and Word 2003 look so very similar, it would be easy to think that
might be the reason. But I think you said that Open and Repair was there but
dimmed, so that wouldn't actually be a viable explanation, I guess.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure that what you're using at work is Word 2003? What version

is
given if you use Help | About Microsoft Word?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.