KC8DCN

Default TOC and heading numbers

I have a document that is styled using heading styles. The TOC that is being
generated for the document has to be generated without the heading styles.

Instead of seeing 1. Introdcution........1, it has to read Introduction....1.

Several things have been tried; like inserting a TC field with a switch, but
nothing is working.

It's being done in Word 2000.
Thanks!
Stefan Blom

After you've inserted the TC fields, you'll have to modify the TOC
field code, and then update the TOC.

To modify the TOC field: Press ALT+F9 to display field codes. The
table of contents will look similar to { TOC \o "1-3" \h }.

Delete the \o switch and the "1-3" part. If there is a \t field
present followed by a list of style names, and this list includes the
names of your heading styles, delete that too.

Now, type \f. In other words, you'll get something like this: { TOC \h
\f }.

Press F9 to update. Make sure you update the entire table, if
prompted.

Press ALT+F9 again to redisplay field results.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP