notlikingwordatall notlikingwordatall is offline
Junior Member

Default Page numbers when starting on other than the first page

First, BuildingBlocks.dotx is not disabled. I already checked it.

Can't get Word to insert page numbers. I can only get '1' on the first page I attempt to number.

Can't get Word to insert page numbers without moving everything else. I click outside the footer, closing the edit footer window, and all my text stays where it moved when I first opened the footer.

All I can find to insert page numbers are long, complicated Word help files, and yes, I followed the directions I found. Why is this so hard?

They're page numbers. I should be able to select any page I want to start numbering from, insert page numbers, and have them actually appear on every page after that point, and not all numbered '1.' It shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 clicks to insert page numbers.

I've now devoted hours to this one (what should be) simple task and still have no page numbers. Do I have to manually insert page numbers on every single page in the 257-page manuscript I'm working on?
notlikingwordatall notlikingwordatall is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlikingwordatall View Post
[...]

Anybody know what could possibly be the practical use in having every single page numbered 1??? It won't even count up. It's a given that page numbers need to count. If they don't, they're not page numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Use Alt+Shift+P to insert a PAGE field. Note, however, that the page number
will appear on every page unless you have inserted a section break and
unlinked the header/footer where you have the page numbers from the one in
the previous section. If you want the numbering to start with a number other
than 1, you must use the Page Number Format dialog to change the "Start at"
number.

http://word.mvps.org

"notlikingwordatall" wrote in
message ...

--
notlikingwordatall

Eric Fletcher Eric Fletcher is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlikingwordatall View Post
Can't get Word to insert page numbers. I can only get '1' on the first page I attempt to number.

Can't get Word to insert page numbers without moving everything else. I click outside the footer, closing the edit footer window, and all my text stays where it moved when I first opened the footer.
Do I have to manually insert page numbers on every single page in the 257-page manuscript I'm working on?
The "Insert Page Number" dialog is OK for adding page numbers in very simple documents, but is certainly NOT the best way to number large documents.

Instead, add the "page" field code to a header or footer. This gives you better control over where the page number will be positioned on different types of pages: for example, book layouts often set numbers left on verso pages; right on recto pages; and centered as a footer on chapter start pages. The format of the header/footer controls the position; the Layout options in Page Setup manage the type of header/footer used.

To create the page field code, type Ctrl-F9 to have Word display the field code braces ({ }) and then type the word "page" within it (no quotes). Press F9 to resolve the code to its value. (You can also use the clunkier Insert | Quick Parts | Field and choose Page from the list.) You can include the field code anywhere you want, including within the main text area.

Page numbering is section-dependent, and what number is used for the page field code will depend on the settings in the Page Number Format dialog (Insert | Page Number pulldown). To have numbering sequence through the sections of a document, use "Continue from previous section". If you want to start numbering at a specific value, enter it in the "Start at" box.

The number format is inherited from the previous section when you start a new one, so be sure to adjust the settings as needed. For example, a typical book uses Roman numerals (i, ii, iii...) for the front-end material, then switches to Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3...) for the main body. For the first section, specify the number format as "i, ii, iii...". Subsequent sections within the front-end content (preface, table of contents, acknowledgements, etc.) will number sequentially from i. For the starting section of your main body, change the number format to "1, 2, 3, ..." and set the "Start at" value to 1. Then, for the next section, be sure to change the page numbering to "Continue from previous section" or it will inherit the "start at 1" setting. All subsequent sections will inherit the "continue" setting so will number as you would want.

I can understand your frustration because the interface tends to favour the "easy" way to place page numbers -- and Word's Help is terrible for explaining how to make use of the quite comprehensive tools available to prepare complex documents. Persevere though: Word is very capable of preparing very complex documents with quite demanding structural requirements.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To create the page field code, type Ctrl-F9 to have Word display the
field code braces ({ }) and then type the word "page" within it (no
quotes). Press F9 to resolve the code to its value. (You can also use
the clunkier Insert | Quick Parts | Field and choose Page from the
list.) You can include the field code anywhere you want, including
within the main text area.

For those who find Ctrl+F9 forbidding, a quick way to insert a PAGE field is
Alt+Shift+P.

http://word.mvps.org