Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pmsimp pmsimp is offline

Default Word 2007 Style Sets - Why does some formatting stay between sets?

I am using Word 2007 on a Vista machine and I am trying to set up our
customizations before we roll out Word 2007 to all users.

We have created our own firm Style Set, which we plan on making the default
Style Set. We have left the other Style Sets available in case anyone wants
to use them.

(Although in my scenario below I am starting out using our firm's Style Set,
I have found that this doesn't necessarily matter - I could have started out
on any Style Set and I would get the same results.)

If using our Firm Style Set and - in a regular blank document - if I modify
the Heading Styles (specifically, let's say I changed the Left Indent & the
Spacing After)... then if I switch to a different Style Set, the all of the
Heading Styles get new left indents and new line spacing values. (Whatever
the definition was in whichever Style Set we switched to.)

However, if I were to change the style of any of the body text paragraphs
(again, let's specifically say that I changed the left indent & the Space
After) and then switch to a different Style Set - those settings seem to
stick. (Whatever I change in any of the body text styles seems to carry over
to all other style sets.)

Why would the Heading Styles and the Body Text Style each exhibit such
different behavior when switching Style Sets?

Are the style changes you make in one Style Set (spacing after, line
spacing, alignment, etc) supposed to "stick" whenever you change from one
Style Set to another? I would have thought that they would not stick - if
you swapped Style Sets you should get all new definitions based on that Style
Set.

What am I missing? Thanks!!