gunsmokegirl gunsmokegirl is offline
Junior Member

Location: Washington
Default TOC Help - Table of Authorities - captions

Help! This is going to take a real expert!! I have about 10 Word files with figures in all of them. All of the figures show up in a table of contents in one document. All of the captions for the figures are sequentially numbered based on the chapter numbers in the 10 separate files.

When I view the hidden text, the captions are labeled like this:

Figure { STYLEREF 2 \s }-{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC \s 2 } end bracket

The List of Figures for the TOC looks like this:

{ TOC \h \z \c "Figure" }

The problem I have is that the author is now inserting figures marked 3.5-1a. (3.5-1 being the chapter # and sequential figure #). The "a" is not part of the sequential numbering. How do I get a caption to NOT number itself (when captions below and above ARE sequentially numbered) AND get it to automatically show up in the table of contents?

I can't figure this out for the life of me. The documents were set up by a word processor who has since left the company.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

GSG.