Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snort Snort is offline

Default Why were ALT+numpad shortcuts removed?

I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ). It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software, though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can only assume that you haven't actually tried this? Alt+0222 still
produces a capital thorn for me in both Word 2003 and Word 2007. The Alt+X
shortcuts are for upper Unicode characters that have no ASCII equivalent.

"Snort" wrote in message
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ). It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit
ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and
German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software, though,
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Spanish and German are both fully covered by the out-of-the-box
keyboard shortcuts in Word. And for the few extra letters of Old
English or Icelandic that you use, why not create similar keyboard
shortcuts of your own?

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ). It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software, though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snort Snort is offline

Suzanne:

I have tried it repeatedly. Could it be because I am using a notebook
keyboard? The numpad is activated by holding down another key and using
letter keys (which have second labels). Do I need to turn this on somewhere?

grammatim:

creating shortcuts would sort of keep with my original problem-- using
multiple methods to input the same character, though I may do it if I can't
get the alt+numpad codes to work.

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ). It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software, though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But why would you have even _started_ using the Alt codes for the
standard accented letters, which involve taking your hands off the
keyboard for four keystrokes, as opposed to staying on the keyboard
for one additional keystroke, followed by the actual letter taking the
accent?

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ). It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software, though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps because the Alt+0xxx shortcuts have been around far longer than the
built-in (or user-assigned) keyboard shortcuts? Or because they work in all
programs (Windows and DOS) and not just in Word?

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ).
It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to
the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit
ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes
for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and
German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad
shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software,
though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know the answer to this. I would have thought that the simulated
numeric keypad thus created would be designed to work just the same as a
built-in one, but perhaps in this instance it doesn't. I don't have any
experience with laptops nor with the numeric keypad; perhaps someone who has
will be able to answer.

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ).
It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to
the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit
ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes
for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and
German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad
shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software,
though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exactly, Suzanne. I sometimes edit Excel and PowerPoint files, even non-MS
files. Word's shortcuts, particularly the Alt-x ones don't work in those
programs. The Windows Alt + keypad shortcuts work in many, if not most,
Windows-based programs€”and produce the desired result as long as you are
using a font that contains the character you want. By the way, alt+ keypad
shortcuts work for the higher Unicode characters too. But you must convert
the hex number Word gives to a base 10 number, or keep a cheat sheet near
your computer.

PamC

On Sep 9, 9:28 am, Snort wrote:

creating shortcuts would sort of keep with my original problem-- using
multiple methods to input the same character, though I may do it if I

[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, it was very strange to come over from Mac-land and discover that
not only were the keyboard shortcuts different in Win Frame from Mac
Frame, but they were different from Win program to Win program!

Snort wrote:
I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ).
It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to
the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit
ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes
for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and
German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad
shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software,
though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BWDS BWDS is offline

On my laptop I seem to have the same problem, with the Alt + 0xxx code not
working in Office, but working elsewhere.

However if you turn on numlock (likely to be fn+ numlock) it works fine.

"Snort" wrote:

I have used these forever. ALT+0222 for example, is capital Thorn (Þ). It
works fine in any textbox in Windows except for Office. According to the
help, I have to use a different code, and then highlight it, then hit ALT+X.

So, does this mean that I have to memorize an entire new set of codes for
Office? I need to be able to write relatively quickly in Spanish and German
from an American keyboard. It's pretty easy with the ALT+numpad shortcuts,
and I already know them. The instant I step into Office software, though, I
have to play by different rules.

Am I missing something here?

If I am not, why the change??

Spell Check was removed njherdfan Microsoft Word Help 3 October 22nd 07 10:07 PM
Office 2003 removed Adobe PDF 5.05 Joshcat99 Microsoft Word Help 5 December 3rd 05 07:10 AM
How to set a book mark in a cell that will not be removed Arlan Tables 1 June 19th 05 01:00 AM
merge data is removed maryj Mailmerge 2 March 23rd 05 08:03 PM
Can more than one hyperlink at a time can be removed from a wo blueboy Microsoft Word Help 1 February 26th 05 09:53 PM