Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Default Page Numbering

I am using Office Beta 2 and have a question concerning how to enable Page
Numbering.

When I first downloaded Beta 2 I was able to number pages in Word. Now
however when I click on the Page Numbers icon it is shaded out.

Does anyone know how to re-enable this please?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you are referring to the Page Number gallery on the Insert tab then
you may need to recreate Building Blocks.dotx. On Windows XP is
located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033

Exit Word, locate Building Blocks.dot either move it out of the folder
or delete it. Renaming this file will not work as Word will load it
the first time you access a gallery. Then start Word and see if Page
Number gallery is available.

Also note Building Blocks.dotx located in the Office installation path
(under Program Files) should not be deleted. This is the master copy
that is used to create your personal copy found in your profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Dragonman" wrote in message
I am using Office Beta 2 and have a question concerning how to enable
Page
Numbering.

When I first downloaded Beta 2 I was able to number pages in Word.
Now
however when I click on the Page Numbers icon it is shaded out.

Does anyone know how to re-enable this please?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Beth,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. However I cannot find the file
Building Blocks.dot.

I have found the file 1033 following the path you mentioned but the folder
seems to be empty.

When I open up a Word document I get the message that the
C:\........Building Blocks.dotx file cannot be found.

Does any of this make sense?

Steve

"Dragonman" wrote in message
I am using Office Beta 2 and have a question concerning how to enable
Page
Numbering.

When I first downloaded Beta 2 I was able to number pages in Word.
Now
however when I click on the Page Numbers icon it is shaded out.

Does anyone know how to re-enable this please?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Beth,

I've just deleted the Building Blocks file within the 1033 folder and this
for the moment seems to work - hopefully.

Thank you again for your help.

Steve

"Dragonman" wrote in message
I am using Office Beta 2 and have a question concerning how to enable
Page
Numbering.

When I first downloaded Beta 2 I was able to number pages in Word.
Now
however when I click on the Page Numbers icon it is shaded out.

Does anyone know how to re-enable this please?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

So you did find Building Block.dotx after all? I'm not sure why you
weren't seeing it before or why you encountered the message, unless
the master copy of Building Blocks.dotx was missing, but I'm glad to
hear you have the issue resolved. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests
for

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/