Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lumtecua lumtecua is offline

Default How to create 2 separate indexex to one doc??

Hi
I'd like to create 2 indexes to one document in Word 97, I've already made
one but the second one mixes with the previous and I want them separate, what
can I do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 02:05:01 -0800, lumtecua
wrote:

Hi
I'd like to create 2 indexes to one document in Word 97, I've already made
one but the second one mixes with the previous and I want them separate, what
can I do?

There are two separate mechanisms for inserting multiple indexes in a
document. You didn't explain enough to tell which one you need to use.

One mechanism is used when you want one index to include only the
entries from one part of the document, and another index to include
entries from a different part of the document. In that case, you need
to insert a bookmark around each part -- for example, a bookmark named
"Ch1" around Chapter 1 and a bookmark named "Ch2" around Chapter 2.
Then you put \b switches into the two Index fields:

{INDEX \b Ch1} will include only entries from the Ch1 bookmark
{INDEX \b Ch2} will include only entries from the Ch2 bookmark

The other mechanism is used when the entries are all mixed within the
same area of the document, but they're in separate series -- for
example, a name index and a subject index. In that case, you need to
insert \f switches into both the entries (which are XE fields) and the
Index fields so they match. Contnuing the example, each entry for a
name should have a switch \f "N"

{XE "Jones:John" \f "N"}

and those entries will be included by an Index field with the matching
switch

{INDEX \f "N"}

Entries for the subject index should have a switch \f "S"

{XE "Economics" \f "S"}

and those entries will be included by an Index field with the matching
switch

{INDEX \f "S"}

The switches are explained in the Help, which (for Word 2007, but not
much has changed) is reproduced at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...862161033.aspx and
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...862091033.aspx.

If you need to go back and add switches to existing XE fields, note
that they're automatically formatted as hidden text, so you have to
turn on the display of hidden text to see them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To create two different indexes, you will have to use of the \f switch for
the XE field codes. Display hidden text to see the XE fields. You will see
something like this:

{ XE "text here" }

At the end of the code, add \f "a" for all entries that should appear in
your first index. For entries that should appear in your second index, add
\f "b". When you are done, you can hide hidden text again.

Then change the first INDEX field code to include \f "a" and the second
index field code to include \f "b". When you are done, update the index
fields.

To show/hide index field codes (as well as most other field codes), use
Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP