Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Default Preferred approach to creating a list

Can anyone tell me whether it's preferable in Word 2007 to create a list by
clicking the bullet or number button, typing the list and pressing Enter
twice to end the list or whether there is a situation in which it is
preferable to type the list unformatted first, go back and select the lines
to be included in the list, and then apply numbers or bullets? I seem to
remember that there can be issues with pressing Enter twice to end a list but
I can't remember the specifics. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Arlene
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

IMHO, it's better to avoid using the enter key any more than absolutely
necessary... Regardless of which version of the program you're using :-) I
can't say that to be an absolute fact, but general experience has taught
some valuable lessons over the years.

However, neither of the 2 is optimum. Lists are best controlled by creating
Styles for the purpose just like any other paragraph formatting. The
automatic features suffice in a fairly simple document, but in lengthier,
more complex docs it frequently results in corruption.

I'm sure there will be other commentary on the matter, but that's just my
penny's worth.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac