Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
woodis woodis is offline

Default Find all cross-references and change color of text at once?

Hi Folks,

I'm using Word 2000 and have a 200 page document that has many
cross-references to Table Nos. (heading number, full context) and many links
to Excel cells (paste special|paste link|unformatted text) in other files.
All my text is black, and I would like to automatically find the noted fields
and format the text with, say blue, so the cross-references and links
standout for editing purposes. Is there any way to do this without spending
a couple hours doing it manually?

I appreciate any insight on this,

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm so glad that was helpful; since writing the article I have wondered if
it might actually prove useful.

http://word.mvps.org

"woodis" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm using Word 2000 and have a 200 page document that has many
cross-references to Table Nos. (heading number, full context) and many
links
to Excel cells (paste special|paste link|unformatted text) in other
files.
All my text is black, and I would like to automatically find the noted
fields
and format the text with, say blue, so the cross-references and links
standout for editing purposes. Is there any way to do this without
spending
a couple hours doing it manually?

I appreciate any insight on this,

Cheers,

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
woodis woodis is offline

Hey Suzanne and others,

Thank you again. I have noticed a behavior that I can't quite figure out.
I'm doing a find|replace as your article describes, specifically:

find| ^19 LINK
replace| blue text

This works just fine, the text turns blue. However, when I save the file,
then reopen it later, the blue text is now black, why? But when I toggle the
field, the field code is blue.

How do I preserve the formatting so when I reopen the file the text is still
blue?

Thanks for your help,

Woodis

"woodis" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm using Word 2000 and have a 200 page document that has many
cross-references to Table Nos. (heading number, full context) and many
links
to Excel cells (paste special|paste link|unformatted text) in other files.
All my text is black, and I would like to automatically find the noted
fields
and format the text with, say blue, so the cross-references and links
standout for editing purposes. Is there any way to do this without
spending
a couple hours doing it manually?

I appreciate any insight on this,

Cheers,

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you also insert the \* Charformat switch? If not, the hyperlink will
revert upon being updated.

http://word.mvps.org

"woodis" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm using Word 2000 and have a 200 page document that has many
cross-references to Table Nos. (heading number, full context) and
many
links
to Excel cells (paste special|paste link|unformatted text) in other
files.
All my text is black, and I would like to automatically find the
noted
fields
and format the text with, say blue, so the cross-references and links
standout for editing purposes. Is there any way to do this without
spending
a couple hours doing it manually?

I appreciate any insight on this,

Cheers,

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
woodis woodis is offline

Ok Suzanne, Gee you are swell,

Staying on topic--here's what I am doing

Find syntax-^19 LINK

copy \* Charformat to clipboard

Replace syntax- ^& ^c
blue font formatting

Check wildcard box (Word 2000 on Vista 64BIT)
find and replace all-won't find any

Uncheck wild cards
find and replace all-makes replacements, keeps the original result of field
and also displays \* Charformat as such (after field toggled back to text)

1,250 \*Charformat

So, as you can probably tell, I really do not know what I am doing (with
fields anyway)! And I'm pushing the limits of Word (97 MB file 350 REFS,
150 LINKS lots pics but...backup often waiting for the crash)

Off topic-is there anyway I can determine where I'm at relative to my 32MB
text limit in Word 2000? (Before I lockup?)

Thanks, I appreciate your prompt help and KNOWLEDGE!

Jeff W.

"woodis" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm using Word 2000 and have a 200 page document that has many
cross-references to Table Nos. (heading number, full context) and
many
links
to Excel cells (paste special|paste link|unformatted text) in other
files.
All my text is black, and I would like to automatically find the
noted
fields
and format the text with, say blue, so the cross-references and links
standout for editing purposes. Is there any way to do this without
spending
a couple hours doing it manually?

I appreciate any insight on this,

Cheers,

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For your REF fields, you should be able to follow the instructions in the
article, but I'm not really familiar with LINK fields, so I don't know what
to tell you about those. The reason for the article is that REF fields, even
when they are hyperlinks, don't have the blue+underline formatting that
shows they are hyperlinks. HYPERLINK fields do (or at least can), so they
don't usually cause problems. I don't know how LINK fields behave, and I
don't know whether they will accept the \* Charformat switch.

If the LINK field is one that ordinarily is formatted as a hyperlink,
perhaps you can add the formatting with AutoFormat. Define the Hyperlink
character style as desired, make sure that "Internet and network paths with
hyperlinks" is checked on the AutoFormat tab of AutoCorrect Options, and
then explicitly run AutoFormat over the document.

http://word.mvps.org

"woodis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
woodis woodis is offline

Thanks again Suzanne

I looked into autocorrect as you mentioned, I'm not sure thats what I want
to do, with respect :-)

Do you know anywhere where I can find info on ^& ^c and ^19 used in the
find and replace dialogue boxes? (used in your article, maybe a list?)

I think I just have a little syntax problem with getting either \*
charformat or \* mergeformat to go to the right place in the field when when
doing a find|replace. My field code ends in " \a \t }" When I do a find |
replace using ^& ^c in the replace dialogue (since I dont know anything
about the ^ stuff I'll assume ^c means paste from clipboard?) after copying
\* charformat to the clipboard. What I end up with after find|replace is:

beginning to end .....\a \t } \*Charformat (in the field) and [some
number]\*Charformat in the text when the field is toggled off.

the \* Charformat is OUTSIDE THE "}" BRACKET. I think if I could tell the
replace funct. it to replace \* Charformat inside the bracket it would work!
But I dont know how. Is there a way to do this?

Probably wearing out my welcome here...but I still appreciate the time and
good help you have given me. I'm sensitive, let me down easy!

Many thanks,

Jeff W.

"woodis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you use a "Find what" syntax that selects the entire field, then you
cannot insert \* Charformat inside the field. The only way you can do that
is by searching for text within the field code (which doesn't select the
entire field). This may not be practical in your case.

The special codes used in Find and Replace are inserted by clicking the list
you get when you expand the dialog with More and click on Special. The items
available vary depending on whether or not you are using wildcards. There is
at least a partial list at
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm, and the KB article €œWD97:
Control Codes to Use with Find and Replace (Edit Menu)€ at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197855, though retired, is still
available.

http://word.mvps.org