Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sooz

Default formulas in Word

Hiya,

I am updating a Word form template that somebody else has written.
It seems they've used formulas within the table.
They've got 4 columns - quantity, description, unit cost, extended
cost.
The formulas are used to calculate the extended cost, sub-total, gst
and total.
I need to add two extra rows in here, and I thought it would be simple
but it's not!
I've unprotected the template so I can edit it.
I've inserted 2 extra rows at the bottom (just before the sub-total)
and copied and pasted the cells from one of the lines above into the
two new ones.
The only problem is, it doesn't adjust the formulas like Excel does! I
have tried going in and adjusting the formulas myself by right-clicking
on the cell, going to edit field, clicking on Formula and then changing
the cell references to suit the new rows. But I get 'undefined
bookmark' errors!
I have no idea what to do... can anybody help?!

sooz

--
sooz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Form fields have bookmark names. Those names can be used to perform
calculations on the content using conventional formula fields. They will not
update unless the form fields have their 'calculate on exit' property
checked.
Your bookmark error suggests that you have managed to lose the bookmark to
which the calculation refers. This is not Excel and there is no intelligent
transfer of information. Display any formula fields with ALT+F9 and make
changes as appropriate.

sooz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi sooz,

In Word, cell references are always absolute (equivalent to $A$1 etc in
Excel).

First off, you'll need to insert new *form* fields into the cells that
trigger the calculations. If you copy these from another row, the copies
lose any assigned bookmark names. If your *formula* fields refer to the
*form* field bookmarks, you'll need to make sure each copied form field is
given a new unique bookmark name.

If you copy *formula* fields using *cell* references from another row, all
you'll need to do to them is to update the row references.

If you copied *formula* fields using *form field bookmark* references from
another row, you'll need to update the bookmark references, so that they
point to the corresponding new bookmarks referred to in my second para
above.

Cheers

"sooz" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sooz

Thanks, I appreciate your help
However I'm still not clear on what I need to do... (I've had no
experience with bookmarks by the way).
I've pressed Alt F9 and an example of the formula which appears in one
of the cells is:

}
=PRODUCT(
Table 3
A10,C10)\#
"$#,###.00"}

So I've added in new formulas to the two new rows (I didn't copy them
this time) and altered them so A10 is A11 and A12 and C10 is C 11 and
C12.
But I still get the bookmark error.
How can I tell if bookmarks are being used?
Hope someone can help

sooz

--
sooz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

hi sooz,

The error message relates to the reference to 'Table 3' in your formula.

Look in Insert|Bookmark to see if 'Table 3' is defined. Probably not, since
you can't have a space in a bookmark name.

If 'Table3' exists, change your field's bookmark reference to that and see
how you get on.

If you still have a problem, use Edit|Goto|Bookmark|Table3 and check that
the bookmark encompasses a table and that cells A10 and C10 actually exist.
If cells A10 and C10 exist, make sure the bookmark includes them. If not,
you may have to delete the bookmark, select the whole table and re-insert
the bookmark. Then try your field again - should work now.

Cheers

"sooz" wrote in message

Thanks, I appreciate your help
However I'm still not clear on what I need to do... (I've had no
experience with bookmarks by the way).
I've pressed Alt F9 and an example of the formula which appears in one
of the cells is:

}
=PRODUCT(
Table 3
A10,C10)\#
"$#,###.00"}

So I've added in new formulas to the two new rows (I didn't copy them
this time) and altered them so A10 is A11 and A12 and C10 is C 11 and
C12.
But I still get the bookmark error.
How can I tell if bookmarks are being used?
Hope someone can help

sooz

--
sooz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sooz

macropod,

Thanks!
I deleted the bookmark as you said and re-created it - it's working
fine now.
Appreciate your help.

sooz