Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
richie richie is offline

Default 2003 mail merge - grouping question

Hi everyone,

I need to do a fairly simple mail merge from xl to word 2003.
Where the excel data is stored in multiple lines per recipient. I've
made up some example data below to better illustrate what I'm trying
to do:

Example (made up) excel data:

Supplier Date Comments Inv # Amount £
DHL 20/7/07 blah blah 1 100.00
UPS 14/3/07 yeah yeah 20 200.00
DHL 27/11/07 yap yap yap 16 155.00

When I run mail merge, I get two documents for DHL, but I just want
one ducument with two lines. Ie it should be in the form:

Supplier DHL

Date Comments Inv# Amount£
20/7/07 blah blah 1 100.00
27/11/07 yap yap yap 16 155.00

I also need to insert a total.

Any ideas how to group the data in this way?

Thanks
Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is not really equipped to perform this type of merge, however, see How
to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category in Word 2002 -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686

richie wrote:
Hi everyone,

I need to do a fairly simple mail merge from xl to word 2003.
Where the excel data is stored in multiple lines per recipient. I've
made up some example data below to better illustrate what I'm trying
to do:

Example (made up) excel data:

Supplier Date Comments Inv # Amount £
DHL 20/7/07 blah blah 1 100.00
UPS 14/3/07 yeah yeah 20 200.00
DHL 27/11/07 yap yap yap 16 155.00

When I run mail merge, I get two documents for DHL, but I just want
one ducument with two lines. Ie it should be in the form:

Supplier DHL

Date Comments Inv# Amount£