Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nharrold nharrold is offline

Default How to turn off automatic indent?

In Word 2000, I'm formatting a long document that I downloaded from a
government site. Occasionally, Word insists on indenting a paragraph that I
don't want indented. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't turn
this off. Can anyone help, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi nharrold,

Check what 'Style' definition is applied to the paragraph & make sure you use one that isn't indented.

--
Cheers
macropod

"nharrold" wrote in message ...
In Word 2000, I'm formatting a long document that I downloaded from a
government site. Occasionally, Word insists on indenting a paragraph that I
don't want indented. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't turn
this off. Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nharrold nharrold is offline

Took me awhile to find that style definition, but it turned out to be
"normal" and the preview example didn't show any indentation of the
paragraph. I forgot to mention that the document I downloaded was a .pdf
document that I copied from Foxit.com to Word, a screen image at a time.
Might that be contributing to the "spontaneous WORD formatting"?

"nharrold" wrote:

In Word 2000, I'm formatting a long document that I downloaded from a
government site. Occasionally, Word insists on indenting a paragraph that I
don't want indented. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't turn
this off. Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi nharrold,

Well, if you're copying & pasting from a pdf, Word has to work with whatever pasting from the pdf formatting delivers. Copy &
pasting from pdfs is a rather different proposition from the problem description you gave in your original post.

--
Cheers
macropod

"nharrold" wrote:

In Word 2000, I'm formatting a long document that I downloaded from a
government site. Occasionally, Word insists on indenting a paragraph that I
don't want indented. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't turn
this off. Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"nharrold" wrote:

In Word 2000, I'm formatting a long document that I downloaded from a
government site. Occasionally, Word insists on indenting a paragraph that I
don't want indented. I've tried everything I can think of, but can't turn
this off. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks for your input. I didn't realize that .pdf files are handled differently. Oddly enough, the paragraph in question was just one in a string of paragraphs in the original document, none of which were indented therein. It's just this one paragraph that Word seems to be treating oddly. Foxit won't let me select the entire document; "select all" is not an edit option. So I had to select it one screen shot at a time. Really tedious.