Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] nntp@microsoft.com is offline

Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Date 5/4/2010
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional languages in the next few days.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Although this probably is an automated message and questions won't be
answered, I'm still going to try one:

Will there be any API (like the NNTP protocol) allowing the development of
3rd party tools to access the forums?

Because accessing forums through a browser is just slow and not nearly as
customizable as the current setup. If there were some kind of API, I'm sure
some smart programmer could come up with a decent user-friendly interface
for people who mostly respond to questions rather than asking them.

Yves

wrote in message
Date 5/4/2010
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Microsoft has created a "bridge" that allows users to access the forums with
a newsreader. I'm not sure they're ready to announce it publicly, but if you
google for "NNTP bridge," you will find more information. Since the first
hit is http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums, I don't think MS can
keep the wraps on this much longer. (Although the information is widely
available, I'm not sure the software is publicly available yet.)

http://word.mvps.org

"Yves Dhondt" wrote in message
Although this probably is an automated message and questions won't be
answered, I'm still going to try one:

Will there be any API (like the NNTP protocol) allowing the development of
3rd party tools to access the forums?

Because accessing forums through a browser is just slow and not nearly as
customizable as the current setup. If there were some kind of API, I'm
sure some smart programmer could come up with a decent user-friendly
interface for people who mostly respond to questions rather than asking
them.

Yves

wrote in message
Date 5/4/2010
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_5_] Gordon[_5_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

(Although the information is widely available, I'm not sure the software
is publicly available yet.)

From the Forums FAQ:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/s...&wa=wsignin1.0

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_5_] Gordon[_5_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

(Although the information is widely available, I'm not sure the software
is publicly available yet.)

From the Forums FAQ:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/s...&wa=wsignin1.0

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_5_] Gordon[_5_] is offline

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

(Although the information is widely available, I'm not sure the software
is publicly available yet.)

From the Forums FAQ:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/s...&wa=wsignin1.0

And in fact there's even a discussion group:
https://connect.microsoft.com/Micros...i/default.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I guess I assumed you had to have specific credentials (beta, MVP, etc.) to
access Connect.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

(Although the information is widely available, I'm not sure the software
is publicly available yet.)

From the Forums FAQ:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/s...&wa=wsignin1.0

And in fact there's even a discussion group:
https://connect.microsoft.com/Micros...i/default.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_5_] Gordon[_5_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I guess I assumed you had to have specific credentials (beta, MVP, etc.)
to access Connect.

Obviously not, seeing a lowly bod like me can!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

So have you tried using the bridge? Given all the frustrations reported
during its development (and some issues still with newsreaders other than
WLM), I may be more inclined to just suck it up and use the forums in HTTP
format.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I guess I assumed you had to have specific credentials (beta, MVP, etc.)
to access Connect.

Obviously not, seeing a lowly bod like me can!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Indeed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I guess I assumed you had to have specific credentials (beta, MVP, etc.)
to access Connect.

Obviously not, seeing a lowly bod like me can!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_5_] Gordon[_5_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
So have you tried using the bridge? Given all the frustrations reported
during its development (and some issues still with newsreaders other than
WLM), I may be more inclined to just suck it up and use the forums in HTTP
format.

I haven't. I decided that the way to deal with some of the extraordinary
ways that people post on the forums was best done by using the forum
features... ;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I just tried it. It is a bit slow for me. And there seems to be some issues
as well. Luckely I'm not hit with every bug described in that forum.

I found an open-source predecessor of the bridge at
http://msdnforumsclient.codeplex.com/. Not sure if it still works. It seems
both the bridge and that client are just interacting with a WCF service
(http://services.social.microsoft.com...msService.svc).
So if the bridge goes farther south, I'm sure someone will implement their
own software interacting with the service. Of course, that is until MS
decides to stop the service on their end...

Yves

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I guess I assumed you had to have specific credentials (beta, MVP, etc.)
to access Connect.

Obviously not, seeing a lowly bod like me can!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And with Windows Live Mail other than occasionally it seems to be a mismatch
between the message body and the subject line and possibly the way it
handles end of paragraph marks in text pasted from Word.

Other than that, I do not see any difference between the performance of
using WLM and the bridge to access forums on 127.0.0.1 and using WLM to
access these newsgroups.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.