Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Serendipity Serendipity is offline

Default Footer only on last page

Using Word 2003. I am trying to put a footer only on my last page--or a
different footer on my last page. I put a continuous section break at the
very end of my document. It shows up in the document but when I click the "go
to next section" button in the footer, there is only sec 1. I want to have
page numbers on all the pages but a page number and file name in the footer
of only the last page.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Serendipity" wrote:

Using Word 2003. I am trying to put a footer only on my last page--or a
different footer on my last page. I put a continuous section break at the
very end of my document. It shows up in the document but when I click the "go
to next section" button in the footer, there is only sec 1. I want to have
page numbers on all the pages but a page number and file name in the footer
of only the last page.

You do not need a section break for that... An IF field will do:
{IF {PAGE}={NUMPAGES} "{FILENAME}" ""}
If you do this manually, make sure to insert all {} pairs by doing CTRL-F9.
The IF field translates as:
{IF {Current Page Number} = {Total Number of Pages in Document} then
"{Insert Filename}" otherwise "insert nothing"}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Serendipity Serendipity is offline

Where do I put that code? I put it directly into the footer and then did Alt
F9 to see the result and had nothing. I did use the Ctrl F9 for the brackets.
When I printed it, I got the written code.

Thanks

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Serendipity" wrote:

Using Word 2003. I am trying to put a footer only on my last page--or a
different footer on my last page. I put a continuous section break at the
very end of my document. It shows up in the document but when I click the "go
to next section" button in the footer, there is only sec 1. I want to have
page numbers on all the pages but a page number and file name in the footer
of only the last page.

You do not need a section break for that... An IF field will do:
{IF {PAGE}={NUMPAGES} "{FILENAME}" ""}
If you do this manually, make sure to insert all {} pairs by doing CTRL-F9.
The IF field translates as:
{IF {Current Page Number} = {Total Number of Pages in Document} then
"{Insert Filename}" otherwise "insert nothing"}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Serendipity Serendipity is offline

Default Footer only on last page/last post

Update to last post: After I printed it, there it was. What happened? Also,
what is the patch switch and where does it go?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Serendipity" wrote:

Using Word 2003. I am trying to put a footer only on my last page--or a
different footer on my last page. I put a continuous section break at the
very end of my document. It shows up in the document but when I click the "go
to next section" button in the footer, there is only sec 1. I want to have
page numbers on all the pages but a page number and file name in the footer
of only the last page.

You do not need a section break for that... An IF field will do:
{IF {PAGE}={NUMPAGES} "{FILENAME}" ""}
If you do this manually, make sure to insert all {} pairs by doing CTRL-F9.
The IF field translates as:
{IF {Current Page Number} = {Total Number of Pages in Document} then
"{Insert Filename}" otherwise "insert nothing"}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Serendipity" wrote:

Update to last post: After I printed it, there it was. What happened? Also,
what is the patch switch and where does it go?

ALT-F9 toggles between Field codes and Field values. When you did ALT-F9,
you displayed Field codes, you had to do it a second time to toggle back to
field values.

After you entered the field codes as I suggested, all you needed to do was
select the IF field and do SHIFT-F9 to toggle back to field value for this
field only, not the whole document as ALT-F9 does. Thereafter, all you need
to do is hit F9 while having a field selected to update it.

Generally, when you print, it updates all fields, unless you deactivate that
option. Since it worked, you must have hit ALT-F9 as second time before
printing.